Knowledge Exams completed

Hey Adam,

Quick question! I just did my PAR yesterday and scored a 94. Felt very comfortable taking it as I felt as though I had truly learned the material. As I just got access to Sheppard Air it’s definitely a different approach and very much as it has been described by many which is that of a memorization tool. Just as an aside, I am starting at ATP Sep. 17.

Quick question though. As I went through college one thing that really stood out to me was that studying for tests (after learning the material) really helped drill it in to my brain and help me actually understand the material. Do you think that the memorization route is the best way to go for the written exams or do you think that studying after learning the material could act as a reinforcement to what you have already learned?

Thanks for any input!

Gregory,

We all learn differently and there’s no question that if you understand (and even better can correlate) information it’s easier, preferred and requires less brain power. The problem is the way the FAA presents the information really doesn’t follow any logical curriculum and is quite random. In reality you “should” be able to study for the knowledge exams as you’re progressing through the program but again the questions don’t even always make sense. Back when I was getting ready to take my ATP I thought you myself there’s probably some stuff I should know and I actually tried to study and learn it. That lasted about 5 min in UNTIL I started reading the questions and realized they had little practical application.

Anyway I would never dissuade anyone from trying to learn anything and you can do as you like but really as Chris says it’s more of an exercise in memorization and I would treat it as such.

Adam

Greg,

I would absolutely go the memorization route on the written exams. This sounds crazy, but there are far better things you can be spending your time on than the written. Just memorize them, pass them, and move onto the actual learning.

Chris

Gregory,

Just to back up what Adam and Chris are saying. I’m studying to take the CAX and one question asked me (summarizing in my own words)

What action should the pilot in command take on a cross country flight?

1. File a flight plan with the FSS
  2. Make sure all the bags are strapped down
  3. Verify the airworthiness certificate is legible to the passnegers

From a practical standpoint, A and B would be suitable. None of my passengers have ever ask me to present the airworthiness certificate (99.9% of them don’t even know that even exists). I chose A and it was really C.

Definitely memorize it and move on. Learning systems is much more important than any written.

Yuran

1 Like

From my experience on both my PPL and Instrument exams, it really seems just like every other government test. I’ve had plenty of experience with those over the years in the Navy and these test are best completed by memorizing the questions and answers. Most of my actual learning was from reading for my college courses and applying what I’ve read in the air. Some may disagree, but like some have said not everyone learns the same way.

Michael