Knowledge Exams completed

Hey guys,
I thought I would let you know that I completed all of my FAA exams before my July 2 start date—all 90s and above. Also, I’m working through memorizing all of the emergency procedures and information given to me for each aircraft in the training supplement and online modules. I’m a bit apprehensive starting this program. I want to do well, not because I want to get to the airlines, but because I take flying seriously. It’s going to be tough, but I’m looking forward to expanding my aviation knowledge, growing in humility, and being challenged like never before. There are a lot of uncertainties, but I’m going to work hard and do my best each day to be safe, make good judgements, and to always, ALWAYS listen. I hope to be a good student and a good example to my peers and mentors.

3 Likes

Lynn,

Finishing all of the writtens early puts you at a huge advantage. Good work on that and please keep in touch as you go through the program.

Chris

What did you use to study for the instrument/Commercial writtens?

Also how many total writtens are there if you do all the required FAA exams?

We get Kings School for PPL, but I am either missing or mis-reading the page, because I take away that the other two written study tools are not supplied for free.

I’m hoping to take my PPL written soon, and am hoping to at least knock out one more before I start in September, and I’m trying to find the best route to go!

I used Shepherd Air for all of my exams. Once you put down your deposit, you have access to all of them via ATP. I think there are a total of six exams.

Thanks, Chris. I will!

Thank you Lynn!

I needed a post like yours!

Congrats on finishing with time to spare and continuing in your studies. I little apprehension is a good thing. It guards against complacency. Obviously I don’t know you but I’d bet serious money on you doing VERY well in training and having a great career simply based on your attitude. Great job and great attitude!

Adam

2 Likes

Ahhh alright I just misread it then! Thank you!

Lynn,

Thank you for sharing your progress. I consider your hard work as a model for all prospective students. Good on you for maximizing your potential by not only completing all of your exams, but also maintaining a willingness to learn. You are off to a great start. Your instructor will be pleased to work with you. I know I would be.

Tory

2 Likes

Lynn,

From Adam’s previous post, I figured this would be refreshing haha Keep up the good work! Keep us posted!

Yuran

2 Likes

Thanks, Adam. It means a lot to hear that from you guys. It’s a good encouragement to receive. I greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Tory. I really appreciate the encouragement.

Yuran,
I went back and saw it. I actually copied the link to Adam’s post and sent it to my parents and other aviators I thought would appreciate it. Thanks for the encouragement!

Great job Lynn. How quickly did you get them done?

Allen,
Thank you. Two weeks per test. Probably less if I wanted to settle with less than 90.

1 Like

Allen,

You can settle for less than a 90 but know that when you go for your Practical the very first thing the DE does is check your Knowledge Test score. The DE knows this is the easiest part of the process and the questions and answers are all readily available. Hence, they must make one of two assumptions: a) you’ve struggled with the material or b) you’re a slacker and really don’t care. Neither of these make a good first impression to the FAA representative who holds your future I their hands. Just some good for thought.

Adam

1 Like

So your encouraged to complete all the knowledge exams PRIOR to starting?? Isn’t that supposed to be taught in the curriculum?
What exactly are the instructors doing?
What a deal! Get all students to do the work before attending!

Tom,

Yes, you are encouraged to complete all of the writtens before attending the program. I did this and found it to be immensely helpful. While it may sound counter intuitive, the writtens really are just an exercise in memorization, the actual learning comes with the checkride preparation. The instructors are not there to hold your hand and help you memorize things, that is up to you, just like it will be when you take tests at the Airlines.

Chris

Tom,

If you had done any research you’d know that as Chris said, the FAA Knowledge exams are simply an exercise in memorization. The FAA provides the questions and answers and the exam really doesn’t follow any of the training footprint. The fact is whether you take the exams PRIOR or wait till you’re in training the ground school will not cover or prepare you for the Knowledge exams. That’s why while EVERY flight school provides ground instruction the vast majority recommend you save money and use one of the many Knowledge Preps like the King Schools and Sheppard Air. We recommend (don’t require) students to complete the writtens prior simply to lighten the VERY heavy course load of an accelerated program so they can use the ground instruction for concepts that may be challenging (vs again looking at questions and answers). Now this is America and you can do as you like so if you want to pay an instructor $25hr to quiz you because you’re incapable then by all means.

Adam

Hey Adam,

Pay attention to the way you treat others, lo, do you help

Where do you get off calling a potential customer incapable?

As a ATP pilot mentor” I’m surprised you are you so condescending in your reply’s?

“If you’d done any research…”

“If you want to pay an instructor $25hr to quiz you because your incapable…”

With a berating personality like yours, I’m sure the other pilots at Hawaiian just love sharing the cockpit with you.

Tom,

I assure you I pay VERY close attention to how I treat others. All are welcome but I encourage you to re-read your post. If you come on here with attitude you shouldn’t be surprised (or so easily offended) if you get some back but OK let’s assess.

First I never called anyone incapable, I specifically said “if you feel you’re” which perhaps you do?

And yes if “you had done any research” you would’ve seen countless threads (on this forum and others) and you would have understood what the FAA Knowledge exams are and what they’re not and had some idea of how people prepare for them. But you clearly didn’t. You read one post written by a student with a great attitude and initiative who got a head start on their training and you responded with: “So your encouraged to complete all the knowledge exams PRIOR to starting?? Isn’t that supposed to be taught in the curriculum? What exactly are the instructors doing? What a deal! Get all students to do the work before attending!” Which was inappropriate and uninformed (dare I say ignorant?).

Now perhaps if you had come on with a modicum of humility and posed your thoughts as a question like “why are students encouraged to complete their writtens prior?” you may have gotten a response more to your liking but you didn’t and therefore I didn’t.

You see Tom you may have missed this but more times than not you get what you give.

Adam

3 Likes