Just started my first training for my PPL

Is it normal to feel a tiny bit scared and overwhelmed for my first day? I had a lot of fun and really enjoyed it; however, it’s totally different in the front seat of a small shaking plane! I’m just wondering if eventually this will pass.

Nicolas, I started my training at ATP May 20, 2019 from 0 time literally 0 experience in flying and I felt the exact same way, still do at times but it has calmed down very very much ever since. Radio comms gets the anxiety up a bit but I’m doing well for the experience I have. Haven’t gotten roasted yet haha nor asked to repeat myself so I must be doing good. Had my first approach and landing without the instructor touching the controls this past Sunday and boy did that make my day I was super happy with my accomplishment. Just follow and observe everything your instructor is doing as you will eventually have to do it on your own and you will be fine. The mentality I have towards something new is like that one similar to when when you start a new job. You’re literally clueless of the procedure until you do it over and over again next thing you know you have it down without thinking about it. Though this is aviation so even if you memorize checklists/procedures I’d stick by religiously following the checklists at all times It’s expected anyways :slightly_smiling_face:. This is my experience, others may chime in.

Nicolas,

Yep. I had several students that had to overcome some anxiety. The more you fly and the more you begin to understand what’s going on the more familiar and second nature it becomes. Talk with your instructor. They should be able to help you with this. Check back with us.

Tory

Nicolas,

Tiny bit is normal, terrified is not. It should pass as you get more comfortable.

Adam

Nicolas,

Some jitters on the first flight are perfectly normal. They should pass with time and as you get more used to flying. I would give it a few more flights before becoming concerned.

Chris