Just resigned from my job of 16 years to follow my dreams

I have a FAA medical in the morning at my locale AME, I am sooooo excited to finally take the steps towards becoming a pilot.

1 Like

Thinking I would have gotten the medical BEFORE resigning but your call. Good luck!

Adam

1 Like

3rd Class medical obtained, I’m very healthy

Tremaine,

Not sure where you’re planning on training but ATP requires a First Class.

Adam

1 Like

Tremaine,

If you plan on attending ATP you need a 1st class medical.

Tory

1 Like

Thanks guys but I’m not training at ATP

Fair enough. But again if I was quitting my job of 16yrs I’d want to be certain and get one.

Adam

1 Like

Yes, went in for a first class but my AME told me I only needed a 3rd class. I never been a smoker or drinker and I don’t drink sodas. Doc said my blood pressure is perfect and I don’t have any heart murmurs. My only issue is that my right eye was at 20/40 so I’m gonna have to wear glasses whenever I fly. 1st class card will be no problem to obtain when I need it.

Not a board mentor but I will chime in briefly here. The standards are not the same for a 1st and 3rd. I flew recreationally on a 3rd between 2004 and 2007 only to find out later during my Air Force FC1 that I had a disqualifying condition that, in the end, terminated my military flying future and held up my 1st Class Medical on the civilian side. I spent 11 years of my life, a lot of money, lawyers, countless medical appointments, and a delayed career to eventually get a FAA 1st Class (which I was just awarded last week). Fortunately, my persistence paid off but the point here is that you can’t hang your hat on a 3rd Class especially if your goal is to eventually fly with an airline. Reality is, you will be subjected to higher standards by both your AME and the FAA. Think of this is a small investment in your future…I would hate to pay literally tens of thousands of dollars in training only to be told after, sorry, you cannot fly Part 135 or 121. Or roll the dice based off what your AME told you and hope you don’t have issues later.

Just my $.02

Trey

1 Like

They require either Class I or class II