Real Answers from Real Pilots

June ‘18 Schedule

(Tory) #1

69 flight hours, 75 credit hours, 17 days off

Experienced my first FAA observation, including two line checks with company Check Airmen. Needless to say, each were uneventful. I was a little nervous at first about the observation because a lot of pilots have a negative stigma about the FAA, but my experience was very positive. She was both polite and respectful and also aware of this negative sigma. She mentioned several times that she was trying to change pilots’ perspective.

1. SEA-ABQ-SAN-ABQ
  2. ABQ-PDX-BOI
  3. DH to PDX, PDX-SBA-PDX-SEA
  4. DH to SFO, SFO-SNA-SFO
  5. SFO-SNA-SFO-SNA-ABQ
  6. ABQ-SNA-SFO-SNA-SFO
  7. SFO-SNA-ABQ-SEA
  8. SEA-MSP-SAN
  9. SAN-MSP-SEA
  10. SEA-OKC-SEA-PSC
  11. PSC layover
  12. PSC-SEA-FAT-SEA
  13. SEA-FAT-SEA

(David E Francis) #2

Thanks for sharing, Tory. Do your trips tend to be commutable, in terms of later starts / earlier finishes?

Also, when your trip starts with a DH, are commuters able to ask for positive spacing to the DH destination? Example: your DH to SFO on the 11th. Could a commuter coming from Vegas be positive spaced to SFO (basically a DH), or would they have to commute on their own to SFO or even SEA?

Thanks!

(Tory) #3

David,

I don’t commute. I live 30 minutes from the airport. I do, however, ask for trips that start before 6am or after 10am to avoid morning rush hour. That’s been nice.

If a trip starts with a DH, the company is only obligated to book a positive space ticket from the pilot’s base. In the example you mentioned, a commuter would have to get themselves to SFO, unless of course they wanted to commute to SEA and take the DH.

Tory