Real Answers from Real Pilots

June '17 Schedule

June '17 was my first month flying the line. 85 hours of flying.

1. SEA-OAK-SEA, SEA-STL
  2. Layover
  3. STL-SEA
  4. SEA-SFO-SEA, SEA-PDX
  5. PDX Layover
  6. PDX-SLC-PDX-STL, Layover
  7. STL-SEA
  8. SEA-SFO-SEA-PDX
  9. Layover
  10. PDX-SEA-ONT-SEA, Deadhead to YYC (Calgary), Layover
  11. YYC-SEA-SBA-SEA
  12. SEA-SFO-SEA
  13. Deadhead to PDX
  14. PDX-SLC-PDX, Deadhead to SEA
  15. SEA-SJC-SEA-PDX (Line Check-PASS!), Layover
  16. Deadhead to SEA, SEA-SJC-SEA
  17. SEA-SJC-SEA
  18. SEA-YYC-SEA
  19. SEA-STL
  20. Layover
  21. STL-SEA-YYC, Layover
4 Likes

Tory,

I am curious. I thought that most airlines, even regional, had a guaranteed number of days off each month. My understanding was it was around 12. By my count I found 9. Did you volunteer for extra flights? Were days like the 20th where you deadheaded counted as well? Or am I misinformed?

Carl

1 Like

@carlhines I picked up the SJC and YYC turn on the 25 and 26. We’re hurting for pilots so badly right now. Scheduling calls me multiple times a day on my days off begging me to pick up extra trips. I did the ones I could. Always nice when they offer premium pay! $$$

2 Likes

Thank you for the insight. I imagine it is easier to say yes for those who live in base than commute. If I may be so intrusive, how does the premium pay work? Is it a set differential for the hours flown, a percentage like overtime (1.5x) that I would be familiar with, can it be exchanged for comp time (extra vacation days)?

Carl

@carlhines Yes. Living close to base helps. That’s one of the reasons I moved to Seattle.

This is my first airline. So, I’m not sure if premium pay is the same for all airlines, but for us it’s a percentage of what we currently make per flight hour.

Carl,

As Tory said it can vary from airline to airline but at mine it’s based on supply and demand. If you pick up a trip on a “red day” from “open time” (day when they’re below reserve coverage aka they don’t have the min reserves for that day) you get 150%. If THEY call you the day before it’s usually 200%. On rare occasions when it’s the day of and no one is answering their phones it can be 300%. You can also sometimes bargain for an extra day off. Kinda like Let’s Make A Deal :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

Carl,

At United the premium pay is simply 200% of your normal hourly rate.

Chris

1 Like

Triple pay sounds nice, I may have to reconsider my thoughts on commuting vs. living in base.

Carl,

Not sure what you need to reconsider? While some people have to commute do to family or other factors I defy you to find a single pilot who can say anything positive about commuting. A good portion of the pilots I know do commute but if they didn’t have to they wouldn’t and simply put, as someone who doesn’t, it’s almost as if I have a different job.

Adam

I’m quite fond of living in Orlando and, with the exception of Jet Blue and South West, it isn’t a big domicile town. Miami would be an ideal situation as its an easy commute and I can drive it if need be.

Hi Tory,

What equipment are you flying? Thanks.

Ron

Ron,

E175