Joining atp

If I already have my private pilot. Is that enough to join atp or have to have at least 2 yrs of collage to join

https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/enrollment.html

Adam

Carlos,

With a PPL you meet eligibility requirements. Of course, your application will still be subject to the normal review process.

Chris

Does it matter if I get the private pilot license and the instrument pilot rating and then join atp? Or you guys wouldn’t recommend that

Carlos,

You can certainly do that, but ATP will only extend credit for the private. If you enter the program with your instrument, there will not be a price reduction and you will still go through the instrument training again, but just not take a checkride.

That being said, I got my private license outside of ATP and I would not recommend doing so. I found that the local school I went to was very inefficient, cost more money than they told me it should, and was ripe with delays. Sadly, this seems to be the story at many small flight schools, they just are not proficient at turning our pilots quickly.

Chris

Carlos,

I only recommend you get your Private prior to starting with ATP IF you’re not certain flying is for you, question your abilities or aren’t sure you want to make a career of it. If that’s the case then by all means obtain (or at least start) working on your PPL first to get a better idea of what flight training is really all about, if it’s something you enjoy and something you like.

If however you’re sure then I’d say dive in and do all you training with ATP. ATP has been training pilots for the airlines for over 30yrs and have a system and program that works. Why not start off from Day 1 with your feet on the right path. While it may appear you’ll save some money going in with your PPL that’s often not the case. First it will inevitably take you much more time and money than you think training on your own part time and most people find it frustrating and inefficient. Second be aware to begin your training at ATP with credit for your PPL you also need a min of 80hrs of flight time which will add considerably to the time and expense.

Adam

Since I was little I wanted to become a pilot and to this date still want to become a pilot and I did my introductory flight already and love it. So you guys saying is better to get an Associate’s Degree first and then start ATP from zero to 1500

Carlos,

I actually always recommend someone get their 4yr degree first. Once you’re in school it’s always a good idea to finish.

Adam

I would agree, that is the same situation I am in now!