JetBlue Mentorship

Hello, I am Nick Bridges and I am currently employed for JetBlue for Ground Operations. I started working here about 6 months ago but have been in the industry for about 2 years by now. I started working at Logan to pay my way through business school but quickly realized that was not the path I wanted to go down. So after my employment began at JetBlue I dropped out of college and started to focus on my flight aspirations. I am 20 years old now and about halfway through my PPL. After a year of employment here, I have the opportunity to join a mentorship program that offers guidance and a guaranteed interview once all prerequisites are met. Though this is an awesome opportunity, I am a bit skeptical of the interview aspect. Ideally, I’d like to start at ATP as soon as I can but would waive my eligibility for the mentorship program. I am curious, though I’d have a guarantee at an interview, will I actually be hired? Or am I better off working my way through ATP and regional airlines, then applying for other major airlines once I have sufficient experience?

Thank you for your help!

Nick,

Your call and know there are no guarantees of employment with any route. First if your aspirations are to work for a Major you will need a 4yr degree so that’s something to keep in mind. I’m not that familiar with the JetBlue program but what I do know is a) it’s expensive (over $100k) and b) I don’t like putting all my eggs in 1 basket. ATP will get you to an airline faster and at half the price and you’ll have a number of options where to go not to mention the opportunity to receive tuition reimbursement. Unless there’s something else they’re offering something else I’m missing I’d say pass.

Adam

Nicholas,

JetBlue is a great place to work, but they are certainly not considered a top major airline. In fact, many pilots end up leaving them for the more traditional legacy carries of American, Delta and United because the contracts are so much more mature.

I would be skeptical of a program that was so expensive and limited you to just one airline. That being said, I am no expert on the program and can’t really speak to its benefits.

Chris