Is Southwest more or less desirable because they only fly one type?

I’m curious if airlines like Southwest are more or less desirable because they only fly one type. I know that none of the mentors here fly for Southwest, but would still like to hear your impression of them and whether you considered them, and in general if there are some majors that are more or less desirable/competitive, or if they all are essentially the same once you get to that point.

Jon,

That really depends on the pilot and what they want to do in their careers. I personally like an airline that flies all over the world and offers a variety of flying. I have bounced back and forth between domestic and international a few times and have always enjoyed the change in scenery. Some pilots are happy to fly domestic for their entire careers, so an airline like Southwest would be perfect for them. Pilot bases also play a huge factor in each pilot’s decision.

All of the major airlines are highly desirable though and most people apply to all of them. The majors can also be very selective and hire a small number of pilots relative to the amount of applications that they receive. The best airline is that one that offers you a job :slight_smile:

Chris

2 Likes

Jon,

Desirable
/dɪˈzʌɪərəb(ə)l/ adjective: wished for as being an attractive, useful, or necessary course of action.

My question is desirable by who? SWA is a great airline (I have a few friends there). They pay well, have an amazing contract and their pilots are a pretty happy bunch. Everyone has their own “desires” and idea of success. For some it’s to fly the biggest airplane (not sure why?), others it’s quality of life. SWA pilots can be home every night if they choose and that’s more important to them then flying to Asia. Only YOU can decide what’s more or less desirable.

Adam

2 Likes

I’m no airline pilot but my uncle is a captain for southwest and from what I’ve heard from him southwest sounds like a wonderful career with great benefits. Also southwest is beginning to expand their horizons flying into Mexico and parts of the Caribbean. So although their fleet isn’t very diverse they are still growing. Best of luck to you!

2 Likes