Real Answers from Real Pilots

Is Aviator College of Aeronautical Science and Technology a good option?

Hey everyone,

My name is Aaron. I’m 23 and currently serving in the Israeli Air Force (not a pilot). I will finish my service around the end of 2018 and my dream is to become a commercial pilot. I’ve been looking at my options and right now the best (to me) seems to be enrolling in Aviator College of Aeronautical Science and Technology in Fort Pierce, Florida (I’m a U.S. citizen). I’m choosing this option because of the 2-year associates degree in Aeronautical Science that they offer in conjunction with flight training up to a commercial license with an option to remain as an instructor to build up hours (I plan on building up to a bachelors degree afterward through another school). I thought this would be a good way to earn my ratings while simultaneously working towards my degree (which I understand I would need to eventually be hired by the majors). The whole program (excluding housing) comes out to about $70,000. I wanted to know if anyone here has had any experience with this College (or others like it)? In addition, I wanted some opinions on this pathway (pros and cons) and if anyone thinks I should be going about this differently.

Aaron,

You will notice that this website is sponsored by ATP and all of the mentors on here went to ATP, so our experiences are limited to that. What I can tell you is that in all my years of flying, I have never met a single pilot that went to the school you mention, not one. I would take a very careful look at that school and read their reviews.

Chris

Aaron,

I did some quick Googling and apparently Aviator is what was formerly known as Ari Ben Aviator. Let me say this, successful businesses don’t change their names. When I did my search for a flight school back in the day I visited Ari Ben. Super nice people but there was just too much duct tape on their Duchesses and since they stopped making those in 82 I’m pretty sure they’re still the same aircraft. I’d do some more research.

Adam

Thanks for your reply. I did some additional research and it may not be the best option. Another option I’m considering is to get my Bachelor Degree here in Israel and then do the ATP program. This would be a good option because university here is far cheaper (only about $4,000 a year) and a BA only takes 3 years instead of 4. The degree I’m interested in is a BA in government with a focus on counter terrorism (will go well with my military experience). Is it true that the majors don’t actually care what degree you have, as long as it’s a BA in something?

Aaron,

The majors really do not care what the degree is in, as long as it isn’t something crazy like basket weaving. Just make sure that a degree from Israel will be accepted in the US. I imagine that it would, but you might want to check on that.

Chris