IRA & FII Written Tests

I have been using Sheppard Air to study for the IRA written test and will hopefully take it later this week. I just want to make sure that I SHOULD also take the FII right after the IRA as it uses the same question bank. I believe Sheppard Air states that the studying I have been working on is only for the IRA. Can someone clarify this for me? Thanks in advance.

Andy

Andy,

It’s been a while since I took my writtens but back in the day they were the same exam and I haven’t heard or seen anything to the contrary? They’re also grouped together on the FAAs Test Matrix. Hopefully someone will chime in with any recent experience but I’ve been advocating people take both at the same time and no one has said they’ve had an issue (or posted a nasty-gram calling me on it).

Adam

1 Like

I am scheduled to take mine Friday for both. I did alot and I mean ALOT of research and everything I have found says what Andy stated. So both I am going to take. If they are as close as everyone says I am confident Ill have two more writtens knocked out with almost 3 weeks to go before I even begin class!!

Derrick and Andy,

Yes you should most definitely take both of them back to back. They share the same question bank and they are both fairly short so it won’t be too much effort.
From experience (both as a test taker and a test proctor), the FII gets a higher score when taken right after the IRA compared to when they are taken separately.

Knock em out…

Yarden

1 Like

I took both just a few months ago, I did have one or two questions I hadn’t seen before on the FII test but they were no more difficult than any of the ones on the instrument test. I would absolutely recommend doing both at the same time.

1 Like

did you study the FII sheppards study guide or only the inturment one? I have access to the FII but will have to close my other one to study it

I took both together as well as the IGI. They do share a common bank, but there are a few different questions. If you read the helicopter chapter in the instrument flyin handbook you should be good to go with the new questions. I did that and never had any surprises.

1 Like

I just studied the regular instrument questions and it was no problem. Best of luck to you. Feels good to get that test out of the way.

1 Like

After looking into this further, the FII test has about 50-60 additional questions in the question bank.

Andy

1 Like

Good to know but I believe? they’re just more variations on the standard test bank plus some rotary wing.

Let us know how you make out.

Adam

1 Like

I passed the IRA written today. There were a few questions that I didn’t remember seeing or were worded differently. I took 4 practice tests and all were above 90. I scored a little lower on the actual (87).

Andy

2 Likes

Good job bud!

It’s pretty normal to score a few points lower on the actual test, but 87 is a great score. I think I scored an 85 on the IRA and then a 94 on the FII.

Yarden

Andy,

Congrats! Keep up the good work.

Chris

GOOD JOB!!! I take both that and the FII tomorrow at 130 in Arlington Texas. Hoping to score the same and get this one behind me with 2 weeks before I start

Good luck Derrick. I’m sure you will be just fine. I hope to take the FII next week. My start date is fast approaching as well (6/26 Denver).

Andy

1 Like