iPad question

No issues at all with reception. The antennae are long enough sticking out of the side pocket of my bag that I get great reception, both from traffic and the towers on the ground for weather, in both the Cessnas and Seminoles.

That’s another reason why I got the Anker Power Core. It has a total 4.8 amp output with two USB ports, so I can power the Stratux and charge an iPad from it at the same time if needed.

1 Like

Awesome! I got one ordered. I will let you know how it works out for me. Probably not going to make much difference for crew as it will be getting here a week later, but I hope to get it’s worth when I start instructing.

1 Like

Sorta irrelevant to your point but you can connect the Lynx (L3) Transponders to your IPad via Bluetooth and receive the same traffic advisories that are available with portable, off-the-shelf ADSB-In products such as Stratus, Stratux, Sentry, etc. To connect, simply open your Bluetooth settings, search for Lynx, and connect. I’m not sure if you can receive the other FIS-B information such as weather, radar, etc that you would be able to receive with the hardware listed above.

Just figured I would add for any students flying an L3 Transponder equipped Seminole.

Trey

2 Likes

How can you turn off your Stratux from receiving your own ship ADS-B out? I keep getting intermittent traffic alerts from my own airplane.

The only way to limit your “Ownship” is through the settings in ForeFlight…and its not very effective. It would be nice if you could plug in a tail number to exclude but, unfortunately, the app does not work that way.

1 Like

Yeah, that happens to me as well. I haven’t figured out any way to prevent it as of yet.

1 Like

Yeah, I tried that and it didn’t work well so I turned that option back on.

I’ll keep on researching it. I decided to stick to using the iPads GPS for ForeFlight because for some reason the Stratux signal was unreliable and I was getting 30 m accuracy vs 5 m. AHRS also was having calibration issues. I tried to reset it and reorient the sensors but it was still not very stable.

Ok, here’s what my Stratux builder CrewDog Electronics said about ownship traffic alerts.

“Easiest way to solve it is to go to the traffic page on 192.168.10.1 while flying and finding the aircraft that is at your altitude and 0.1 miles away. It’ll give you the hex code. Put that into the hex field replacing your planes transponder source on the settings tab of 192.168.10.1 and problem solved.”