Intro Flight Jitters

Hi guys,

So I just completed my First class medical, and passed. I also just completed my first intro flight. I have to say I didn’t “love” it like I thought I would. I had quite a few nerves and jitters while I was up there. Granted, it was 40 degrees and there was a sufficient amount of wind. We were getting blown around pretty good for most of the duration. My question is should this be concerning to me, or should I try to schedule another flight under different conditions to make a fair judgement? I just wasn’t sure what to think when I got back to the ground. As always, thanks for your input on these forums.

Julian,

I would absolutely try to schedule another flight. I would want to make darn sure that I really wanted to be a pilot before committing to that kind of money.

Chris

1 Like

Julian,

That is the specific purpose of an intro flight. EVERYONE who has ever sat in the back of a Boeing thinks “this is cool! I love it!” and many decide to quit their jobs and go join the circus. As you discovered today, sitting at the controls of a small plane is a VERY different experience. You could definitely try again under better conditions but know there will be good days, bad days and worse days. Maybe take a few lessons and see if you get more comfy? If not that’s ok too.

Adam

I can’t speak to you from an ATP perspective, but as a beginner pilot, I think some “nerves” with the first flight is normal for a lot of people. I sweat soaked my t-shirt on my first flight. That’s how nervous I was and all I had to do was maintain altitude and direction. Now I look forward to flying every weekend! :smiley: Do as the others say and take another flight. This time you’ll be better mentally prepared as to what you can expect.