Interview Prep

What is your opinion on using interview prep companies?(Emerald Coast, Ace, Centerline, etc.) Right now I’m only using interview gouge, putting the questions in word document and typing in the answers to the technical questions. For the HR questions, its more or less answering their questions with what I’ve experienced so far. My concern for using these companies is…

1. I feel like having someone tell you what to answer when they ask you a question kinda takes away the whole idea of staying true to yourself.

2. These guys/gals on the panel have conducted countless interviews and can probably tell who uses these companies and who doesn’t based off the answers they give to your questions.

I’ve asked around and have gotten mixed opinions. Some said they didn’t use them while others said they wouldn’t have passed their interview without it. I would like to know whether y’all used a company and if so how helpful was it and is my take on it completely inaccurate. I know Adam and Jordan have participated in hiring so I would like to hear their view from a panel’s perspective (do y’all roll their eyes once they hear one of their “scripted answers” or can you tell those who use it from those who don’t. Also do you think that my way of interview prepping is good/bad or needs improvement. I know this is a lot so thanks a lot for the help.

Al,

First aren’t you still in training? If so I’d be focused on stalls and steep turns for now. If not my bad and let’s talk about interview prep.

I, like you, really didn’t understand interview prep. I knew some people used them, but I was kind of cocky and thought they’ll either like me or they won’t and I’m a pretty likeable guy so why spend the money. I did fine getting hired at XJT on my own so again why. Then I finally got the call for my Hawaiian interview (aka My Dream Job). For those who don’t know Hawaiian has always had a reputation for being very selective since they’re a relatively small airline and really don’t hire many pilots by comparison. Everyone I spoke said they had interviewed 3, 4 and 5 times before getting hired IF they got hired at all.
A friend recommended Cage Marshall. He had used them and said that he and 2 other pilots that used them had gotten the nod. In my mind I still didn’t see the point but maybe someone at Cage knew someone at Hawaiian and if a bubba deal gets me in I’m fine with that so I called. Much to my surprise I had no idea what interview prep was and what I thought it was was all wrong.

Interview preps (at least the one I used Cage) do not try and change you nor give you scripted answers. What they did do was polish my somewhat rough exterior. We started with an entire mock interview from start to finish in real time. After they dissected it. They told what I did right and what I could’ve done better. They pointed out many common pitfalls and explained how they way I phrased certain things could be misunderstood and offered suggestions of how I could be more concise. Everything they said made tremendous sense particularly since as you pointed out, I have participated in hiring and I was making the same mistakes I’d seen many other pilots do. Again at no point did they provide me with a single canned answer or try and change me. I was still me and my answers were still mine. It was simply nicer packaging.

Long short I’m a fan and I do recommend preps. Would i have been successful without them? I’ll never know but what I can tell you is I went in much better prepared and confident and that definitely didn’t hurt.

Adam

2 Likes

Good to know, thanks

Al,

I am a big fan of interview prep as it helps an applicant get their thoughts in order and convert them in a coherent manner.

The ATP Alumni Association offers a discount on “Career Takeoff” interview prep: https://atpalumni.org/discounts

2 Likes

Al

I didn’t receive any interview prep for Horizon, but I’ve heard that they are highly recommended to prepare for the major airline interviews. I was planning on signing up for Emerald Coast or Centerline for Delta before the CV. Seems now I have some time.

One thing I recommend every pilot do is keep a log of unusual or noteworthy experiences. I use the Apple Notes app. I add an entry anytime I think I may want to recall a situation in an interview. Helps refresh my memory of the event if I review my entries. Some examples are diversions, conflict resolution with crew or pax, inflight system malfunctions, medical emergencies, etc.

Tory

1 Like

Great to know thanks,

So if you guys would’ve used the prep for your regional interviews I’m assuming that there would’ve been no need for using it again for the majors since you are already aware of the interview tips given to you. Just want to make sure I’m assuming correctly. Or are interviews at Majors different than regional ones?

Al,

Regional and major airline interviews are very different. Both interviews draw on your past experiences, which are very different at those points in your career.

Beyond that, when one interviews for a major, they are interviewing for a job with millions of dollars over a career. It is worth it to spend the money for the interview prep again.

Chris

Al,

I agree with Chris. Most pilots prep themselves for the regional airline interview via online interview gouges. Plus, the interview for a regional vs a major are very different. I would not say that using EC or CL for your regional interview will prep you for a major interview.

Tory

Honestly I never even heard of interview preps when I was hired at a Regional. As the others have said they’re very different interviews. I’d save my money till I’m going for a Major and again I’d encourage you to talk to Cage Marshall or at least read their book, Checklist for Success.

Adam