Instrument and FII Written Exams

So I’m scheduled to start at ATP in about a month and I’m currently studying to knock out some of these written exams before I go there with the help of Sheppard Air’s software.

My understanding of taking the Instrument and FII tests according to ATP’s website and prior posts on this forum is that those tests use the same question bank and therefore can and should be completed simultaneously. However, there’s a disclaimer on my Sheppard Air iPad app notifying that studying for the Instrument test will NOT adequately prepare me for the FII test.

I was wondering if someone could clarify if these tests use the same question bank entirely or if there’s additional questions to be studied for the FII test. If there are additional questions, I’m guessing I need to call Sheppard Air to receive access to those study questions?

1 Like

Kyle,

To be completely honest I’m not that familiar with the Sheppard software for Instrument BUT what I can tell you is when I took the exams the 2 were identical except the FII had 2 helicopter questions. I’m thinking someone took the exam and freaked because they got 2 extra wrong, maybe flunked because they were poorly prepared overall, blamed Sheppard Air so they put in the disclaimer. Personally I’d use it and Google Instrument rotor wing questions but totally your call?

Anyone else have a thought?

Adam

1 Like

I don’t know why that disclaimer is there, but you can ignore it. Sheppard
Air is just protecting itself from people demanding a refund. Like Adam
said, there are probably only a handful of new questions on the FII. 99% of
the questions are identical to the IRA.

Tory

Kyle,

I remember there being just a few extra questions, but certainly not enough to worry about. I would just go for it.

Chris

Awesome, thanks guys!

I’m getting real close to being ready for these IRA/FII tests. My goal is to at least get those and commercial done before I actually start at ATP next month, but at this rate, I may just manage to get CFI and FOI as well! I’m super excited!

After instrument the rest go by much faster. You’ll get used to the study strategy and be more efficient. Also, the FOI bank is very small. I took the FIA at 8am one day, study for the FOI for a few hours and took it the same day and got a good score. You’ll be very thankful you got those out of the wayas you watch others stress about trying to get them done while studying for the checkrides.

1 Like

Well I got my IRA and FII tests done today. Just did them back to back at my local testing facility. I actually managed to get a better score on the FII. 85% on the IRA and 96% on the FII.

Now to see if I can knock out commercial, CFI, and FOI in under three weeks before I start at ATP!

Nice job. Don’t wanna say we told ya but… :slight_smile:

Adam

Haha yes, yes you did. I didn’t realize it at the time, but I found out that the FII test is only 50 questions instead of 60 like the IRA and I didn’t encounter a single question that had to do with instructing; they were all from the IRA question bank, and even a few duplicates from the IRA test I had just finished.:grinning:

2 Likes

Kyle,

Good work. Keep plowing through those written exams.

Chris

Good job, Kyle. Out of curiosity, how much time did you spend preparing for
your IRA and FII?

Tory

Well, even though I actually took the tests today, I would say I was fully ready for them by last week Tuesday on the 26th when I had my 3 practice tests of 90% or better to receive the endorsement. I think it took me about 5 or 6 days to get that point, aided by having the long Christmas weekend to be able to study more than I normally would have.

After I got home from taking those tests earlier today, I called Sheppard Air to receive access to the commercial written study prep and I already have taken a practice test with a 95% score. I might be able to have this one done by the end of this week! :smiley:

So, just to be clear. It only took you about one week to prepare for the
IRA/FII?

Tory

Yep

1 Like

I just took my commercial written and passed and am about to call Sheppard Air for enrollment into the next course which will either be FIA or FOI. Should I complete one of those before the other? Will I even have a choice when I call Sheppard or will they determine which one to give me next?

Kyle,

FIA first. Very similar to the Commercial. The FOI really isn’t aviation related and focuses on rather generic teaching methodology. Making sure your student’s fundamental needs are satisfied, looking for certain behaviors, bla bla bla. It was my least favorite.

Adam

Kyle,

Dang! You’re crushing it! I don’t think it matters which one you take first.

Tory

Got the FIA test done today, just the FOI to go, which I’m studying for currently. I agree with you Adam, or at least I’m finding it more difficult to study for than the others because it’s not entirely aviation related, but at least it’s a lot less questions than the others! I’ll have this last one done by the end of this week for sure, and only two weeks to go from today before I start at ATP!

1 Like

Kyle,

I am glad that you are making so much progress on the written exams, you will be really glad that you did when you start the program.

Chris

Woohoo! I’m sure you’ll be glad to get those out of the way! FOI…silly test…

Adam