Real Answers from Real Pilots

I’ve reached my DA

(Michael Taft) #18

Thanks for the advice Tucker. I’ll do just that.

(Michael Taft) #19

Just an update,

Just completed my CAX exam and passed with a 95. Could have gotten 97, but who’s counting right?

Used Sheppard Air, and given I ran through those questions (944 to be exact?) I gotta say the training strategy works.

On to the last three. Less than 7 months to soak up as much information as possible.

1 Like

Good job, keep going on those writtens, you will be glad that you did.

Chris

1 Like

Thinking you could have gotten 100 but good job.

Adam

1 Like
(Michael Taft) #22

Could have, should have, but didn’t. I got 3 more test so 100 isn’t out of the realm of possibilities yet. After I reviewed the questions I missed, two were “dyslexic” moments. The other three I could have sworn they were right, but FAA says otherwise. On with life.

(Michael Taft) #23

Well Adam I accepted your challenge and I got a 100 on my FIA written today. I plan to do the same for the rest. :wink:

2 Likes

Michael,

Nice job! Keep up the good work!

Chris

1 Like
(Michael Taft) #25

So with a little over 5 months till my start date I’ve finished all my writtens. Besides my CAX, I got 100s on all my Instructor written exams, including my IGI.

Just want to thank the pilot mentors here, Adam, Chris, Tory, and fellow pilots here encouraging me to get these writtens done. It is a huge, HUGE, relief to have these out of the way. I highly encourage anyone with the time to download Sheppard Air and knock these out!

Got some time left to review my private and instrument modules, the ACS, and aircraft supplements, procedures and checklists. Also might dig into the instructing books while I’m at it.

Will report back when I get closer to Day 1.

Fair skies and favorable tailwinds everyone!

1 Like
(Tory) #26

Most impressive, Michael! I have high expectations for you. No pressure :wink:

Tory

1 Like
(Michael Taft) #27

Hey all, just dropping an update.

With only three months left I’m still going at it in terms of preparation. I’ve scheduled an IPC to get my instrument rating current. Even though ATP HQ said that I would easily get my IPC knocked out when I arrive I figured I might as well get some actual airtime to practice through ATPs procedures that I’ve been studying these past few months. Surprising enough the instructor who is performing my IPC is actually an ATP graduate.

I’m really looking forward to kicking off my training. I’ve also been studying my Instructor Handbook and taking tips from my wife (she’s a teacher). I’m not taking any chances with my training and I want to get the most out of it, so that’s why I’ve been studying many months out from my start date on top of having my knowledge test complete.

I will be starting a separate post in the Student Experience section on Day 1 to start documenting my progress through the ACPP. Any other recommendations from the mentors or other students and graduates would be much appreciated if you see I missed anything. August 5th is around the corner and I feel like it will be here as soon as I blink!

(Tory) #28

Michael,

From what I remember you’ve shared, I think you’ll be more than ready. Also, good call on the IPC. Though not required, best to show up ready to go.

Tory

1 Like

Michael,

It sounds like you are really taking this seriously and preparing well. That is awesome and will serve you well.

I will really be looking forward to reading your posts as you go through the program.

Chris

1 Like
(M) #30

Sounds like you’re super prepared. Too bad ATP couldnt tailor the training regimen to you given that you have your instrument already.

I graduated from ATP RIC in March with zero checkride failures. I came with all my writtens done, and arrived at the training center every day. Took 7.5 months with private. Best of luck. You will enjoy RIC, the entire instructor team there is great!

1 Like
(Michael Taft) #31

Thanks M, Chris, and Tory.

Even with the program the way it is I’ll gain invaluable experience going through my instrument regimens I’m sure. It seems RIC has gained a whole new crew of instructors, but I’m sure they’ll be top notch. This is my life’s dream and I’ll probably be at the airport more than anywhere else just as you. The weather in the late summer and fall (besides hurricanes) is pretty fair so hopefully my flight requirements will be met with ease. I look forward to joining the airways with you all soon!

2 Likes

Michael,

Let me know if you do any flights down to ORF.

Chris

1 Like
(Michael Taft) #33

Will do Chris! I’m sure I’ll have routes there. Flown into PHF once on an instrument training flight. Any time I spent in Norfolk was at the naval base when I served. Would be cool to see it from a different perspective. :sunglasses:

PGF, CPK, SFQ, or PVG. Let me know if you fly into any of them and we can try to get lunch.

1 Like
(Michael Taft) #35

Did my IPC today and while my procedures and ground knowledge is solid, boy did my rust show flying the aircraft :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. Didn’t help it was a bumpy day and had a GTN650 I wasn’t all that familiar with. Touch screens can be cool except when your trying to touch the screen with thermals and gusty winds. No AP either so that added to the workload too.

After today (even though I’m Instrument rated) I will gladly welcome the 50 hours of instrument training again just to get that proficiency rock solid. Overall today was a good flight as it made me aware of the things I need to fine tune when I start at ATP.

Michael,

I am glad you are getting up to speed on flying again. When is your start date?

Chris

(Michael Taft) #37

Kick-off is August 5th. My wife and I are already trying to sell our house to be ready to move wherever the skies take me next. We’re both ready for an adventure. :smile: