Husband and wife both pursuing flying career?

Alexis,

it can be very hard to match up your schedules, especially the first few years. It would likely help if you were hired at the same airline, but there are no guarantees of that. I do know of a few pilot couples, they seem to make it work, although to me it seems challenging, especially once kids are involved.

Chris

Alexis,

Hard to say. I know of one couple at work that got hired on the same day. Since their seniority numbers are 1 number apart they can either bid to have similar schedules or not.

What if they hadn’t agreed to work for the same airline? What if one got the job and the other didn’t? What if they decide to fly for different major airlines? What if they want to start a family? How will that affect their careers?

They’re married. If it’s a healthy marriage I don’t think they worry about these questions. I’m sure that they are aware of the endless possibilities, but they go with the flow.

What you both need to remember is that you both need to live your own lives. There will be times when you’ll be apart, probably more often than not, and both of you will need to do whatever it is that you want to do in life so that you both feel fulfilled at the end of the day. Embrace the lifestyle that you’ve chosen. Try to make the best of it. Don’t dwell on all the time you’ll be apart.

Tory