Hurricane Lane

While most of the time this job is pretty easy and chill, tomorrow am I’m flying there, there and there! Super Fun!!! :wink:

Adam

What’s the max crosswind component those 717s can handle? :thinking:

40kts is an engine takeoff limitation but other than that there isn’t one.

Adam

I guess ~50 tons of aircraft can handle a little hurricane wind. lol.

Is there any risk of compressor stall on takeoff or final with gusty winds?

Sergey,

Not really. While it’s possible to get a CS due to severe gusts that’s actually pretty rare in modern turbo fans as the FADECs are constantly monitoring and adjusting the engines performance. Must CS these days are mechanical in nature. Really the only thing we did differently yesterday (other than tighten our belts) was to turn the Ignitors “ON” while passing through the extreme precipitation. The idea is to keep them firing to avoid a possible flame out. While not required it’s a good “recommendation” from the manufacturer

Adam

1 Like

Thank you for clarification, Adam! I am pretty unfamiliar with turbine engine operations so this was very helpful.
Hope you and your loved ones were spared any damage by this event.
SK

Thanks bud we’re all good.

Really was a none event except for the Big Island that got hammered again.

Oh and btw I should have answered your question more thoroughly regarding compressor stalls. While again they’re generally caused by a mechanical issue, the 717’s crosswind limitation on takeoff (as well as other Boeings and AirBus’) is due to the possibility of a CS caused by a high power setting (takeoff thrust) combined with minimum airflow entering the engine caused by the crosswind. Now you know more than half the pilots out there :wink:

Adam

1 Like