How to prepare

I plan on heading to ATP flight school by the beginning of next year. That’s about 10 months from right now. Because I don’t know anything about aviation, I would love any recommendations to what I can do right now till the new year to prepare me for school. I’m basically looking for things I can do to get a head start.

David,

I would highly recommend that you work on the written exams. Use the link that Tory provided you in that other post.

Chris

Thanks Chris

David,

Take the written tests and follow this guideline:
https://airlinepilot.life/t/what-does-an-atp-student-need-to-do-to-be-successful/10421/5

Tory

Hi Troy,

My name is Sam, I am 37yr old done my MBA in UK and currently doing PPL in Australia. I struggling to find a satisfactory answer to a question which has taken me down, hope you can throw some limelight to it.

I met lady from Qantas airlines few days back, asked her about what possibilities are there for a new pilot to enter Qantas to which she said 20-30 age it’s 100% possible but after 35 it’s next to impossible.

I am already 37 years old and still doing PPL, so by the time I finish everything, building good amount of hours, I will be around 39, will there be any opportunity for me at that age or that will be end of it.

In America what is the scenario like?

Is there any opportunity for pilot around 40yr old?

I have heard lot of stories about pilot shortage in America, is it actually true.

If yes will it stay like this for next 2yrs?

Thanks

Sam

Sam,

37 is far from too old here in the US. Yes the pilot shortage is real and yes it’s forecast to continue for some time. The bad news is to work as a pilot in the US you must be either a citizen or have permanent resident status.

A different note I’m not sure who you spoke to from Quantas but I’d contact their recruiting dept directly and ask them.

Adam

Sam,

Adam summed it up well for you. Here are some more links about what he mentioned:

https://airlinepilot.life/t/i-am-a-foreign-student-can-i-train-and-work-for-atp/8060/2

https://airlinepilot.life/t/am-i-too-old-to-be-an-airline-pilot/8062/2

Tory

Adam and Troy,

Thanks a lot for sharing this information, I will carry on my study won’t give up that easy, will buy small Cessna to bump up hours as quick I can.

If after completing CPL here in Australia, I head for USA to do ATPL, will that help to step into regional airlines door(pending sponsorship for residency) and few days ago I read this advertisement about America looking for Aussie pilots.

Once again thanks for reply.

Sam

Sam,

First I’ve heard of this but if you’ve got your CPL and 1500hrs it sounds like you’re good.

Keep in mind getting hired and successfully getting through training are two very different things. If those 1500hrs are primarily you buzzing the pattern in your Cessna you might have some issues.

Adam

The E3 visa for Australians is the only exception to the US residency requirement for pilots. But you would need to be an Australian citizen, not a UK.

Chris,

Ever since you’ve told me about the written tests I’ve been very curious in doing them but I do not understand what test you are talking about? Is there a specific name for the test? Where do I take it? Online? Do I have to pay? What do I study off to do well on the test? How many test are there? Everyone is saying to take them as quick as possible but like what are these tests? Remember I don’t know anything about aviation. 0. But I want to get a head start.

David,

Not sure where the confusion lies (as I think we’ve given you this link before?) but all your questions are answered if you please reference this link:
https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html
Once you pay your deposit and schedule your class date you’ll be given access to all the study materials. If you want to prepare and take them before hand you’ll have to get them on your own.

Adam

Oh so are you saying that I have to sign up and be registered into the program to take the test? And is the test the private pilot knowledge test? Or are there multiple?

David,

Please consult the link that has been provided to you multiple times now as it lays out all of the FAA knowledge tests that you will need to take.

To have an ATP instructor provide you with the necessary endorsements to take the tests you will need to be a registered ATP student.

Chris