How to become a Pilot?

Jordan, thanks for sharing, do you mind sharing how many total hours did your friend have, college degree? How many years as a CFI?

They had a degree from a college in the midwest - I can’t remember which aviation school it was (I think Kansas). They were in the United Lufthansa program, was an intern at United and then got accepted into this direct CFI-major route. You instruct for about 2 years and then go straight to the majors, but you know it getting in. JetBlue is setting up something similar and possible a few other majors soon. It’ll be happening more often but it’s in NO way common or even close to it.

The fact they were a United intern AND were in the United Lufthansa program are a couple of important tidbits wouldn’t you say? Times aren’t changing that much.

Adam

Hello everybody! Sorry if this question already has been asked in this forum. I want to start a pilot career but I am not a US citizen. Is there any chance for me to become a commercial pilot? I live here in LA and do have a work permit, but I’ve heard that airlines hire only the US citizens or LPR’s for this job.

Dima,

You will need to be either a US citizen or be a permanent legal resident (green card) to fly for the airlines in the US.

Chris

Dima,

Unless of course you become a commercial pilot on your home country.

Adam

Chris and Adam, thank you

So does it mean there is no chance for me to work as a cargo pilot too? I am in a process of applying for LPR but it may takes years. So can I become flying instructor first? Does it make sense to start studying now?

Dima,

You cannot WORK in the US as a pilot without being an LPR or citizen. That includes cargo and instructing.

Adam

Almost done with private just trying to book a day for examiner and I for my check-ride after long 2/5 year up and down in this amazing challenge @ age 38.
Now the goal is to go all the way to multiple engine and get that 1500 hours(1390) now. With my own Cessna 150. I understand for major you need 4 year degree as I have it in accounting.
But a million dollar question is my bachelors degree is from IRAN and it is evaluated here in us.
Does major airlines care that your bachelors has to be done in US or they will except a foreign four-year degree as a same value (or better way to ask)
Do they except you as someone who put the effort to get a four year degree but again outside the US??
Precise answer fresh life-changing question will really help me thank you all.

Mehdi,

My understanding is that will be fine as long as you can show that it is from an reputable university.

Tory

Mehdi,

As Tory said as long as your degree can be substantiated you should be fine (they won’t take your word for it and I’d start working on that sooner than later).

Frankly I’d be more concerned with the pace of your training. I don’t understand what “long 2/5 year” means but I do understand it’s taken you 110hrs to earn your PPL. You’re 38 now and have a significant amount more training to accomplish. You’ll need alot more than just your PPL and your multi. There’s also a question of building the bulk of your time in a C150. Clearly it won’t be multi time and I hope you’re plane has a solid IFR suite because the airlines won’t be impressed with 1300hrs of VFR time

Finally you’ll also need to work on your English skills as yours are a little rough and strong English skills are something the airlines require. Particularly the Majors.

Adam

TROY & Adam thank you for responding back.
Adam last part was miss typing while I was in my bed in dark room, and at some point you’re right I need to get better on my English.
Thanks

Mehdi,
Congrats on getting to the private Checkride. Make sure you review all the elements listed in the Private ACS and be able to explain them and you should be ready. I wish you the best of luck. As for the rest of your training, do you have a plan for a more expedited timeline? It’s great you have an airplane to use but at your age you’ll need to get going faster to take advantage of the time you have left in the career. You will still need your instrument rating, and commercial single/multi. Plus a way to build your hours to 1500 if you don’t plan on getting your CFI.

-Hannah

Hello!

I loved reading all of the questions and responses so far on this forum as it has clarified many things for me! I am an 18 year old freshman in college studying Criminal Justice. My goal is to become a commercial pilot. My father is an aviation mechanic and will be training to become a pilot as well and I love learning about all of his experiences. After speaking with him, I did a discovery flight which is what really strengthened my interest in flying.

I know that I have some time before I begin diving into my flight studies as I will not graduate college until 2024. But I have always been a stickler for preparedness, getting ahead of things, and planning for the future. I was wondering if anyone could respond to some concerns I have.

Is there anything that I could/should be doing while in college to prepare myself for flight training after I graduate? Also, what exactly would my first step be after graduating?

Another concern I have is the cost. Going to flight school after college is like paying two 4-year tuitions. How were you (experienced pilots) able to afford the education? Are there scholarships available? Will I be drowning in debt? What is the cheapest but most effective option that you recommend?

I know I have many concerns and if you are unable to answer to some of them, I understand! I truly appreciate any responses, thanks in advance.

Jayana Murray

Jayana,

Good questions and concerns so let’s try and answer some,

1. Really the best thing you can do is work hard and do well in college. Obviously you want a good education and many of the Majors will want to see your transcripts or at least your GPA. Once you graduate then you can devote all your attention to flight training. Your first step would be to choose the right school.

2. Your right, flight training is expensive and there’s really no way and that. There aren’t many scholarships available (but I encourage you to look). My best advice is to save money by going to community college or local city or state school. The airlines want a college degree but it doesn’t need to be from an expensive school. As far as flight schools go this is ATPs forum and all the mentors here are successful grads. We recommend ATP not because we’re salesman, but because we were all where you are now and after doing our research we determined ATP to be the best, most efficient route. ATP is not the cheapest but the quality of instruction and the accelerated program will help you to get to the airlines faster to start earning money to pay down that debt. There’s no question this will require some sacrifice but it’s definitely doable.

Hope this helps,

Adam

Jayana,

Welcome to the forum! I think it is great that you are desiring to get such an early start on your training. In reality though, there is not much that you can really do. The airlines do look at college GPAs, so my recommendation would be to really focus on your college studies and have a good GPA. As you get closer to flight training starting, you could take some of the written exams, but be careful as the results expire after 24 months.

Flight training is expensive, there is no doubt about that. There are very few, if any scholarships available. I would encourage you to get your degree from a state school, maybe even complete the first two years at community college. There is no need to have a degree from a private, expensive school if your goal is to be an airline pilot. You will likely have significant debt payments, but that is the reality that most people face. It takes time and things might be tight for awhile, but it is certainly manageable.

Please let us know what other questions you have.

Chris

Thank you for the suggestions! I am actually attending a private school and playing division 3 sports. However, my scholarships will pay my tuition in full for the four years and I will receive refund checks that I plan to put toward flight school expenses. I just know that that extra money won’t pay for the program in full, which is where my questions stemmed from.

I also have the option to graduate early because I have lots of AP credit. I know you’ve mentioned that there are age requirements for certain jobs, if I graduate early I will be 20 years old. What exactly are my limits at that age?

Jayana,

Now I’m confused? If you’re getting a full scholarship to college how would you ever have to pay “double tuition”?

Regardless the min age to fly for an airline is 21. If you start at 20 it’ll be at least 2yrs till you’ve finished your training and built the required time. Your age is not an issue.

Adam

Jayana,
I love that you’re already thinking about how to be ahead. Right now, all you can do is do really well in college. You need that degree for the majors and the best GPA you can get, the better. Keep flying if you can and soaking up as much aviation as you can on your time off, just make sure it doesn’t effect your schoolwork.
As for finances, the loan is a big risk for everyone. Luckily you have your undergrad covered which for many people that’s not the case. If you can save some money these next few years that could help pad your bank account to support you through training. If you go with ATP, by that time I’d imagine most of the tuition reimbursement programs should be back up and running. I highly recommend those. As a CFI, money is tight. Having most of not all of your loan payment covered by the regional you choose is a game changer.