How To Become A Commercial Pilot After High School

I am 14 years old and very interested in commercial piloting. I have loved flying in general since I was 8 and have been wanting a piloting career since then. I want to know what is the best route to go to succeed this after high school because I am a freshman. I don’t want to go the military route. I want to see my options after high school as I prepare for the aviation career I want. Thank You!

1 Like

Matthew,

Welcome to the forums. The best thing that you can do right now is to get good grades in high school and get yourself into a position to go to a good college. After graduating high school I recommend that you attain a four year degree, then go to a flight school that offers accelerated training.

Your other option is to go to a community college for two years, then attend flight school and start working on building your flight time. After you get hired on at an airline you could finish up a degree online. Keep in mind that you will need a four year degree to get hired on at the major airlines.

In the meantime check out various aviation publications, keep up on the industry and feel free to cruise this website and ask your questions here. At some point in the future you should take an introductory flight to see if flying is something that you really want to do.

Chris

4 Likes

Chris,

What are some of the great aviation publications available out there? Can you suggest a few?

Charles

Charles,

I’ve always been a fan of the AOPA Pilot magazine and the AOPA as a whole. Great organization with many valuable resources. Everything from tech to legal to medical. Their magazine comes out monthly but they actually have different versions that they tailor to the flying you do.

Adam

Charles,

I am a fan of AOPA Pilot and Smithsonian’s Aviation magazine. A lot of people like Aviation Week and Space Technology, but I find it to be too technical for my tastes. Plane and pilot is another one that comes to mind.

Chris

Hi, If I first go to a community college for 2 years, do you know what kind of classes I should take and when I finished 2 years what should I do? Should I transfer to 2 year of college or go to flight school?
And by you saying to “try getting hire to a airline” is that actual job, I mean a job as a pilot?

Mo,

You can study whatever you like. The airlines want a degree but aren’t concerned with the field of study. After 2 yrs it’s up to you what comes next. Personally I believe you should finish your education and get a 4yr degree. If however you’re anxious to fly you could go to flight school after, build time as an instructor, get hired at a Regional (YES as a pilot unless there’s something else you’d like to do?) and then complete your education part-time or online while flying for a Regional.

Adam

1 Like

How can you afford flight school?? Is it by loaning or just luck of having the money?? Here in the U.K. It costs £120,000 to attend a flight school. How is it affordable??

Rosie,

While it’s somewhat more affordable in the US it still isn’t cheap. Most people here take out student loans. I’m not sure if it’s the same in the UK?

Adam

Hey I’m 18 and a senior in high school I have great grades and got accepted into Middle Georgia State the only 4 year public school for aviation in Georgia I want to be a commercial pilot it’s my dream job but I have no idea of what steps to take

Jasani,

Take a look at this thread: https://airlinepilot.life/t/how-do-i-become-an-airline-pilot/10891/

Good evening, I’m Gab. I’m 16 years old and I’m studying in a Science High School. Im in Grade 11 right now. What I wanted to ask is what specific course should I take after senior high school? I am planning to study at Philippine State College of Aeronautics and I dont know what course should I take. I also wanted to apply in scholarships if ever, to save some expenses.

Gab,

This forum was created and is mentored by pilots in the US and as such we’re really not familiar with the process in the Philippines. The good news is since you’re going to an Aeronautical school in your country i’m certain they can advise you.

Adam

Hi, Adam

I am very concerned about this topic…
I was planning to start at ATP flight school in October, I even went to check out the school, but I just read that I need a 4-year degree in order to get hired by an airline. I got an associates degree, can I still get hired by a regional airline? or what are the chances of getting hired by a big airline with a 2-year degree?

Thank you!

Daisy,

I’m not sure what you read (or misread) but there’s nothing to be concerned about. The Regionals actually don’t require a degree at all so you’re fine there. While it’s “possible” to get hired at a big airline (I assume you mean Major) with a 2yr degree you’re severely limiting your chances. While only Delta requires a 4yr degree the other Majors all list a 4yr degree as “competitive” or 'desired". The good news is you can get your 4yr while working at a Regional and be able to check the box when the time comes.

Adam

2 Likes

Thank you so much, Adam!

Adam would you think that going to get an associate’s after high school and then ATP and then getting a BA while at the regionals is a good idea? Just asking because that’s 2 more years of flight time rather than getting a BA at college and starting after college.

Daniel,

Honestly that’s a decision for the individual as I’ve seen it go both ways. We tell you folks daily that seniority is everything and encourage all to get going ASAP. Based on that, purely looking at time as the determinating factor, than there’s no question getting your 2yr, then going to ATP, then working on your BA while at a Regional will be most expeditious. Here’s the problem. Those last 2yrs online while working at a Regional requires a considerable amount of discipline which frankly not everyone has, myself included. A few years back I entertained getting my Master online and signed up for a few classes. I started strong but faded and quit shortly thereafter. Now perhaps if I needed the degree for something specific I would’ve been more motivated but I can tell you I’m not the only one. I know many pilots who have gotten their degrees online successfully and many who haven’t.

What I saying is it’s not a bad idea but you have to do an honest assessment of yourself and decide if you’re up to the task.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks Adam for the insight. Personally I think it’s doable for myself, however I see your point how you can not be so motivated. 2 years is a lot of time and perhaps it is worth it. I just feel since your body is still in study mode that it can be accomplished

Daisy,

You do not need any degree to work for the regional airlines, but you will need a four year degree to fly for the majors. The good news is that you will have plenty of time whilst you fly for the regionals to get a degree online. Many before you have done exactly this.

Chris

1 Like