How to be admitted and steps before first day

Hello!

I am definitely interested in ATP to begin a career in aviation. Like many, I am hesitating cause of the huge loan I would have to take out. But after reading some posts on this, I’m not as scared, so thank you! Anyway, I was wondering what the timeline was to be admitted and then begin as a student. I know an introductory flight is required, a physical, and I’m assuming some readings and homework type things, but would anyone be willing to lay out the actual steps to first become admitted and then the steps taken before entering the classroom. Also, a timeframe of how long this usually takes would be extremely helpful!

Thanks for your time!

Lauren,

The information you’re looking for can be found on the ATP website. I recommend you spend some quality time reading ALL the available information before making a decision on whether to enroll or not. As for the enrollment process that is there as well.
https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/enrollment.html

Adam

Are you able to answer the typical time between being enrolled and beginning training takes? I am trying to calculate the timeline and all.

Thanks,
Lauren

Lauren,

It can vary by how long it takes to secure your financing, how eager you are to start and if the date you want is available at the location you want. Typically you’re probably talking about 90 days.

Adam

Lauren,

A lot of that depends on you and how quickly you move through the process. Ninety days seems like about average.

Chris

Lauren,

I can share with you my personal experience and timeline, from my first phone call with ATP to having a set class start date. I’m scheduled to start September 9th of this year.

I made my first contact with ATP in March of this year after contemplating completely switching career paths for the previous 6 months, doing research about the commercial pilot career and inquiring into local flight schools and alternatives. My first couple phone calls to ATP consisted of asking what the curriculum and student expectations were and which of the three main steps I should do first (admissions flight, first class medical, financing). I could also tell that they were building an online profile of myself because every time I called they would mention previous info I had said, even with different customer reps. They want people who are not only qualified on paper, but who they also believe have the right mind-set to make it through their program.

After a month or so I decided that ATP was absolutely the path I wanted to take, so I started knocking out the three requirements. I scheduled and received my 1st class medical on May 29th with no issues. I filed for my student loans through Wells Fargo on June 3rd and the back-and-forth paperwork for that took about 2 weeks.

I did the admissions flight last because it was logistically the most challenging requirement for me to do, since I live in Alaska and the nearest ATP facility is in Seattle. I booked a flight as soon as my financing went through. They (and I) would probably recommend to do this first so you (and they) have and idea of whether the program and pilot life is right for you.

I did my admissions flight on July 10th and was officially accepted the very next morning! Albeit I had called them probably around 20 times at this point so they had a good idea of my personality. The following week consisted of finalizing a class date and location, receiving the box of training materials and diving right in to the King Ground School and prep material. I’ve been told to budget 4-6 weeks study time to finish the prep courses before your start date. I should be done with the King Private Pilot ground school course in two weeks total time.

Long story short, 90 days like the other fellows said :sweat_smile:

I hope this helps!
John C.

3 Likes

When would be the best time to start enrolling in a course like this and going through the process you just stated. I’m still in high school, although i would like an idea of when to actually start my career. :sweat_smile:

Holly,

This link lists the enrollment process along with admissions requirements.
https://atpflightschool.com/airline-career-pilot-program/enrollment.html

Tory

Holly,

As with most careers, we recommend you complete your education prior to starting your training.

Adam

Thank you so much for the detailed response! And good luck–September is fast approaching! :smiley:

1 Like

John, which location will you be joining come September?

Joshua,

I’ll be attending the GTU (Georgetown) location, just outside Austin, TX.

Ah, right on! I only asked because you said you did your intro flight in a seattle location since its the closest, so I didnt know if you were attending one of these locations. I current am at the one in Everett, Wa.