How to afford a PPL?

So ATP advised me to get my PPL first… This is no easy task tho. How am I to afford 10-20 grand? What is the most cost efficient & steadfast way? The one place I did talk to only accepted payment up front $250 to $350 a flight… Each flight 1 to 1.25 hrs… It will take me over a year just to get this one license! Yet atp will only take 6 months to get everything else… And even if I did get a loan for my PPL, then Sallie May probably wouldnt give me a loan for atp… Same with if I’d go to college… I’m truly stuck here…

Grant,

I was in your shoes when I started. I got my private before starting ATP. A close relative that trusted me when I said I wanted to turn flying into a career paid for the PPL training and now I’m paying them back with interest.

Tory

Grant,

You aren’t stuck, you are delayed. Again, I would recommend college first, then ATP. You might need to work during college to save up for flight school.

Chris

Grant,

No this is no easy task. The fact is finances are often the biggest obstacle many people face. Not to be cliché but where there’s a will there’s a way. Took me until I was 39 but I did it.

Adam

I’m just hesitant to go into college because then I’ll be in student loan debt and have a degree for a career I don’t even want.

I understand your dilemma, but at some point you will need the degree and right not you do not meet ATP’s entrance requirements anyways.

Chris,

Thanks, you’re definitely right. The degree will be needed. I am considering a degree in real estate. Would it be realistic to be a part time real estate broker in my off time as a pilot, or maybe just do it as a hobby on the side? I’m going to ask my uncle to give me a loan to get my PPL so I can go to ATP. Maybe I could use that stipend to make payments back to him. If he says no I’ll either do it on my own earnings (I make 13$/hr as a temp agent but will be hired on in May, then my pay goes up to 18/hr so it may be doable) or work on that degree, maybe even both, but I doubt that I’d have time to juggle both and my full time job.

Grant

Tory,

Thanks for the idea. I may consider asking my uncle for a loan to get my PPL so I can attend ATP. He is actually a veteran major airline pilot so maybe he will help me.

Grant

Adam,

You’re right man, a big part of success is not getting discouraged. I hope I can become a pilot at a young age though. I’m only 21 now.

Grant

Grant,

You will find a way. It might not be quite as quickly as you want it to be, but you will get there. Keep pushing forward, never stop.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks alot. I appreciate the encouragement and advice. I try to stay optimistic, but also don’t want to set unrealistic goals in my mind. You’re right though, all I can do is my part and if I do, things are bound to work out eventually.

Grant

Remember you can only eat a elephant one bite at a time. This is a lot of work but the rewards are fantastic. ATP will save you loads of money as you will receive what you need and not fill the pockets and logbooks of Part 61 instructors. Don’t ask me how I know these things. Once you have your CFI/CFII the online degree work can start and continue working on it while at the regionals. You should easily be able to finish a BS or BA by the time you apply for the Majors. Just saying…

Can you explain why ATP advised getting your PPL first? Wouldn’t it be most advantageous to start ATP from scratch?

Allen,

To enter the Career Pilot Program you need either a 2yr degree, equivalent work experience or your PPL. Since Grant had none of the above, the fastest remedy is the PPL.

Adam

1 Like

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I recall that ATP will take students with 0 flight time ? Or is that with a different type of ATP program ? I am interested in starting at ATP and have heard of students starting ATP with no flight experience and starting out with getting their PPL at ATP, then moving upwards.

Also, Hello ! Long time lurker who has finally decided to create an account lol.

Gurshawn,

Yes, but students that start with 0 hours need at least a 2 year degree or equivalent work experience. After all that time lurking on this site you haven’t found the answer to the most commonly asked question? :wink: Teasing.

Tory

1 Like