How should I get my certifications

Hello, Im currently serving active duty in the Army and want to start a career in commercial flight once I get out. I was wondering if I should go to ATP and start with the regionals or if I should go with a school like Spartan. What is your opinion on the matter?

Tyler,

If you look at the logo on the top of the page you can clearly see the ATP logo so obviously we’re all a little biased. That said we’re not here to see you on anything and always encourage people to do their own research. What I can tell you is ATP has had over 300 of their students hired by the Regionals in the last year alone and has been doing this for over 30yrs. They also have 42 locations across the country which could make things considerably mite convenient. The list goes on but I’d look at their program vs ATPs and see how they stack up.

Adam

I worded my question a bit wrong. do you recommend a degree before atp or after atp?

Tyler,

If you aspire to fly for a Major some day you will need a degree. I always recommend young people straight out of high school get their degrees first as they’re still in the “school” mindset. Since you’re already out I recommend you dive in and get started already. Everything in aviation is based on seniority and the sooner you get started the better. As a pilot you have a finite amount of years you can work and the sooner you can start working towards the upgrade, the sooner AND LONGER you can make the real money. I’m also not a fan of aviation degrees as you’re putting all your eggs in one basket. If for some reason flying doesn’t work out it’s always a good idea to have a plan B. The only caveat is it does take some discipline and hard work to complete your degree after you’re already flying and if you think that would be an issue for you I’d address it first.

Your call.

Adam

Oh okay, Thank you for your help Adam.

Tyler,

I second Adam on this. Get your flight training finished, then get to a regional airline and work on your degree then. Any other path will take you much longer and will diminish your career potential as the entire industry is based on seniority.

Chris