How much study time for the IRA and CAX?

I know this is a somewhat ambiguous question so I’m not looking for a specific answer - just more of a guideline based on others’ experiences. ATP recommends having taken/passed the Private Pilot Airplane (PAR), Instrument Rating Airplane (IRA), and Commercial Pilot Airplane (CAX) prior to starting.

I passed the PAR almost 10 years ago. How much time would/did you guys allow for studying the IRA and CAX? I work 50 hrs/week, however I’m consistent in my study habits. I was thinking 6 weeks per test would be adequate, but I would like some feedback from others on how long it took you to prepare for those written exams.

Dorian,

I think your estimate is in the ballpark. Everyone will have different answers, but I was going to suggest 2-4 weeks per test if you’re using Shepherd Air’s test prep.

Tory

I did the IRA in about 4 weeks and CAX in about 3. My studying wasn’t really consistent which may be worth noting (I was still working full-time). If you can commit to 2-3 hours daily you’ll probably be able to get it done in 2 weeks for each test.

Dorian,

About 2-4 weeks for each one for me, but I was insistent on getting as close to a 100% as possible, which you should be too.

Chris

Just to clarify if you only passed the PAR 10 years ago the written test would be expired. (Unless you meant you passed the check ride as well)

I took the IRA using the following schedule, which I was actually hesitant going in to take the test, because I felt like I crammed; however, I did score a 93%…

I studied (with Sheppard’s Air) from a Thursday through Tuesday, with actually staying up VERY late Tuesday night into early Wednesday morning, and taking the IRA at 8:00am that morning. I didn’t really start hitting the studying hard until mid-Sunday and spending almost all day Monday and Tuesday doing nothing but studying.

I’m not saying follow my approach, but it goes to show you can realistically prepare for the IRA in 2-4 weeks while working full time, if you set aside some time each day or so.

When I get finished with the instrument phase, I’m going to spend only a weekend preparing to knockout the CAX. Yes, it’s rote memorization, but it gets it out of the way to do the real studying. Trust Sheppard’s Air!

Thank you all. I’m planning to use the Sheppard Air material after putting down my deposit. I wanted to factor in your input above for determining a start date. :slightly_smiling_face:

Anytime. Let us know how else we can help you.

Chris

To add to this discussion for future readers, I followed a similar schedule as Brent, spent roughly 40-50 hrs studying (most of it Sunday, Monday and Tuesday) and passed with a 98%. I felt very well prepared and the test itself only took about 35 minutes. Just follow the Sheppard Air system and don’t get discouraged. You’ll be surprised how quickly you start memorizing the questions, the answers and ultimately learning the information.

1 Like