How many hour do you typically graduate with?

Does anyone know about how many hours a student is expected to graduate with?
About how many hours would you need to make up to work for regional after graduating?

Raven,

As I said in my other response you’ll graduate with approx. 250hrs. The minimum to fly for any Regional airline is 1500. Again I recommend you look in our FAQ section as many of these questions are answered there. Also know to enroll with ATP you need at least a 2yr degree (or equivalent work experience) or your Private Pilot license.

Adam

Adam,

Thank you for your patience with me and still responding. I’m having issue finding the answers to frequently asked questions. I’ve clicked on the FAQs tab and only found information on the forum, along with rules and restrictions.

I understand that you graduate with 250hrs. I guess my question is even though I know it depends on every pilot’s experience, but about how long will it take to build to 1500 hrs.
I’m a Junior in college now, which means I will be graduating with my commercial at 21. Would that mean I really couldn’t expect to work for an actual airline until years later? Does that gap of work feel discouraging and overwhelming? Will I find myself at times regretting this.

Raven,

As you said it depends. The typical ATP instructor (working 5 days a week) flies an average of 75hrs a month which equates to 16mos to build the 1250hrs needed. Some instructors fly weekends and up to 100hrs a month and the get there in a year. If you’re instructing part-time it obviously will take much longer. You had asked about flying other than instructing. Many local Hawaiian pilots try to get hired by Mokulele flying Caravans interisland (their mins are 500hrs I believe). While this sounds may sound like a better gig than teaching, I’ve spoken to some of their pilots and many are only flying 25-30hrs a month. At that rate it’ll be 2-3yrs before you qualify. Will you get discouraged or regretting it? Maybe. It really depends on your perspective. If you like at the time it takes as just a waste and something you have to do only to get to an airline then yes, I suspect you will get discouraged and possibly regretting it. It however you really have an affection for aviation and flying (not just becoming an Airline Pilot) and view the time building as invaluable experience needed to improve and hone your skills so you can live up to the responsibility of literally having people’s lives in your hands your won’t.

https://airlinepilot.life/c/Ask-your-questions-and-get-real-answers-from-real-pilots/frequently-asked-questions

Adam