Housing visitors

So I am looking into the San Diego Montgomery field location, and I have some friends who said they would like to come visit and I would be staying in the housing provided by ATP. What is ATP visitor policy?

Nico,

The policy is no visitors. The housing is for ATP students and instructors only. Aside from liability etc, how would you like it if you were preparing for a checkride and the night before one of the other students had some friends come and visit? If I were one of the other pilots in the apt we would have a SERIOUS problem.

Your friends can get a hotel and you can spend time entertaining them there vs doing what you should be, studying and preparing. I mean it’s only $65k and your career but what the heck.

Adam

Nico,

I know this is slightly off topic, but we have been informed from
management the San Diego location will be closing soon. Check with
Admissions.

Overnight guests are not permitted in student housing. You’ll have to work
out visits with your roommates. Personally, I wouldn’t mind it as long as
there was respect for privacy of others and demonstrated common curtesy.

Tory

Nico,

If you are going to attend an accelerated program like ATP, you will not have time to be hanging out with your friends. You will need to be solely focused on flying. Honestly, this shouldn’t even be a concern for you.

Chris

Tory,

While I appreciate you’re a much kinder and gentler mentor than me, I have to call foul on this one. While your statement of “as long as there was respect for privacy and demonstrated common courtesy” is completely reasonable, what if there wasn’t? What if they were loud and disruptive, now one of the students has to play cop or hide and stress? Frankly the fact that someone is considering what flight school to train at and the question of “can my friends come hang?” is anywhere on their list of factors literally blows my mind. This isn’t summer camp and it’s not spring break in Cabo! ATP is for people who are serious about their careers and future. ATP students often suffer tremendous sacrifices to compete the program. They leave their families and their jobs or businesses, put themselves in debt to reach their dreams and none of them should ever find themselves stressed or uncomfortable because another student can’t follow the rules and standards.

Btw standards are one of the greatest tools pilots have to keep themselves and their passengers safe, intentional non-compliance is one of the greatest threats. There’s no better time to start following the rules then Day 1 of training.

Adam

1 Like

Adam,

I don’t think that asking whether or not friends can visit automatically implies the person isn’t serious about the training program. Whilst I understand your concern, having friends does not necessarily mean there’s going to be a rager. Like Tory said, if there is respect for space and mutual agreement between the roommates it shouldn’t be much of an issue. I understand ATP is difficult and extremely demending but it is also not the only academic experience that is that way. Every student at ATP is from a different background which will ultimately influence how the view their ATP experience. I’m not a mentor but this is just my 2 cents :slight_smile:

Adam,

That may very well happen. I don’t disagree either. I’ve been lucky and
never experienced that kind of situation at ATP.

Nana,

The issue is not whether or not there will be a raging party in the apartment, but that worrying about such things now shows a potential lack of dedication to a very accelerated program. There simply is not time in the program to be entertaining friends.

Furthermore, there can be mutual respect and understanding all day long, but it is against the rules and that is simply the end of the discussion.

Pilots are expected to adhere to rules and regulations, right down to the size and color suit case we carry. Might as well start following the rules now.

Chris

Nana,

First show me where I mentioned, stated or implied a “rager” (or any party for that matter)? You are however right about respect for space. Problem is (as you pointed out) people come from different backgrounds and one person’s concept of respect for privacy may be very different than another’s. Regardless, NO PAYING STUDENT (you know the person who’s PAYING $65K to train and $1000 mos for housing) should have to deal with any others social activities in the place THEY’RE paying to stay in. Not sure if you’ve participated in any of ATPs programs but I assure you many individuals find it stressful and introducing other individuals who are not there with the same goals is not going to benefit anyone besides the one selfish individual who can’t conceive of going for 9mos without providing accommodations for their friends which they have no right to do.

Again the fact that this is even a consideration or thought prior to training demonstrates the individual doesn’t understand the task at hand. Flight Safety (not a University) takes 2yrs to do the training ATP does in 9mos. As a union rep I once had a pilot who was struggling in training. They stated that the training “was interfering with their social calendar”. After spending close to $200k in education that person is no longer a pilot.

This is not about creating an “experience”. If that’s what you’re after there are dozens of schools that will allow you to take 4yrs to create whatever experience you desire. ATP is here to train pilots and prepare them for the airlines. Or do you think United and Delta will give you time for your friends during training so you can enhance your experience?

Adam

1 Like