Hours Per Week

I’m considering going to ATP. I’m wondering about the typical hours per week devoted to studying. Not to decide whether I can work on the side or anything. Just to get an idea.

I’ve gone through a bit of law school where I was either studying or in class 80-100 hours per week as well as a software engineering program where I was working another 12 hours per day, 6 days a week and even studying on Sundays as well. I don’t think I’d consider flying “work” as it’s so much fun. But how many hours are people committing towards studying ground school work? Having gone through those previous experiences, I’m just worried about entering another rigorous program where I take out a huge loan and then can’t make it through somehow. I will add, I really hated law school and found out software engineering wasn’t for me but LOVE flying and learning about it.

Justin,

Frankly it’s hard to say. Everyone learns differently and at different rates. When I was an instructor for ATP I had students who studied maybe an hour or 2 a night tops and others who were up till the wee hours trying to get a concept. Honestly I never found it that arduous. I think it’s more about focus and discipline. There were always guys in my apt who while studying would be playing X Box and watching TV then wondered why they were struggling. Put in a solid effort and I think you’ll find its not too bad.

Adam

1 Like

Justin,

ATP is a very accelerated program. While I did have some time off while in the program, the vast majority of my time was spent either training or studying. Getting the written exams out of the way with prior to starting training would really help you.

I will say that even though you may love flying, somewhere in the middle of doing timed turns for holding, flying can become un-fun, too. You just have to buckle down and make it happen. The payoff is worth it.

Chris

The program is during the week right? How can I get the written test out of the way first? Isn’t that a part of the training unless I go in already having my PPL?

I think anything you do will probably have aspects that make it un-fun sometimes. But I guess my attitude is even doing timed turns for holding is better than sitting in an office all day doing administrative or sales stuff, no? And by payoff I assume you mean getting to fly as a career.

Justin,

The program is during the week, but many students chose to fly over the weekend to help accelerate the program.

The written exams are really self study as they are just rote memorization. You can read more about how to take them early here: https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

By payoff I did mean flying as a career.

Chris

Justin,

Doing timed turns is still flying so sure that’s fun. Studying for the Fundamentals of Instruction and about the physiological and psychological needs of your students is not. Later when you get to an airline the relationship between the green hydraulic system and the emergency generator isn’t much fun either nor is sitting at the gate waiting for bags. While I believe I have the greatest job on Earth EVERY job can and will have it’s “less than fun” moments. That’s life. I have to be honest, on occasion I find myself sitting next to another pilot who believed flying was going to be one big party. We do a lot of sitting, there are delays, doing airplane inspections in the snow and rain, deadheading, etc. These are the pilots who question their career choice and are generally very unpleasant to fly with but in truth I don’t think they’d be happy anywhere since no one will pay them to stay home and FaceBook.

Adam

Thanks for your responses guys. I’m currently working M-F 8am-7pm just to fly an hour a day on the weekends and then study for 4 hours each day. I’m actually studying through King Schools so hopefully I’ve got a good start to try and pass the test before starting training.

Chris, when you say pass the pass the written exams, are you referring to just the PPL or can I pass all the written exams for each rating before training?

Adam, thanks for the honesty. Those parts definitely don’t sound fun but it still sounds better than sitting in an office in the same place all day. And I don’t even have a Facebook :slight_smile:

Justin,

Chris means ALL the FAA Knowledge exams. The only caveat is they expire after 2 years so I wouldn’t take them until you have your timeframe worked out.

Adam

Justin,

Take as many as you can. Just don’t start too early because they are only valid for 24 calendar months. https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

Tory

Justin,
Like any study, its only good if it sticks and you (really) understand the material. That said, I suggest like I assume you would have done in law school, make notes while studying about the material/concepts that you don’t totally understand. Make sure you get your instructor to give you answers in a timely manner and ask lots of questions during pre flight briefs and after flight debriefs. There is a lot more to flying than just the flying part and its a lot cheaper to learn some stuff on the ground, from a book or quizzing your instructor, than in the airplane.

Just to clarify, that’s the Private, Instrument, Commercial, plus the three instructor tests that do not require an endorsement? Should I also take the two optional instructor tests?

It seems like just in the time it would take to study for and truly comprehend all that material, I could probably receive my PPL.

@freightdog - Thanks for your input. I’ve been making flashcards on everything so far as well as taking the review quizzes and been doing well for the most part on those.

Justin,

Open the link I sent you. It explains everything in detail.

Tory

And the two optional tests (AGI and IGI) are for those that want to become a Gold Seal CFI. It’s up to you if you want to take a shot at the recognition.

Tory

Yeah I had opened the link and that was actually what I was hoping to clarify. Wasn’t sure if you meant just the first three or all six but I think you just answered my question.

So do most people come in having already passed all of those? It seems like it could take 3-6 months just to pass those 6 tests.

This is part of the dilemma of learning to fly with an accelerated course. The bookwork is going to suffer, you can’t absorb new material and concepts any faster than you would having lots of time to reread, think over and ask questions about different material. Someone made a good point about the need to pass all these tests in short order. Some people are good are cramming others, not so much. Either way, long term understanding and memory will suffer. The expectation has to be that you will, over time, re learn what you have already (by way of the FAA tests) shown to know. There is a lot to know and a strong desire to succeed can only take you so far. Good luck!!

Justin,

Most people do come in with all the tests passed as that’s what’s recommended. Again depending on your study habits and absorption how much time you’ll need can vary. Comfortably I believe the average is about 2 weeks a test but I’ve known people who’ve crammed 2 days and passed. The thing is most people don’t try to “truly comprehend” the info. It’s study by rote. The learning will take place later.

Adam

Donald,

Respectfully there is no dilemma of accelerated training. Airlines and the military have been doing this for as long as there’s been both. I’m reasonably certain that FedEx didn’t hold your hand and say “Donald, you take as much time as you need to fully understand and get comfy with the information and let us know when you’re ready”. ATP was created BY airline pilots (actually a retired FedEx Capt) to TRAIN airline pilots. The idea is to prepare the students for what’s come at the airlines and much of the responsibility to learn the material is on the students. The usual question is what if I can’t keep up or learn at that pace? The answer is if that’s the case, what makes you think you’ll survive actual airline training?

Adam

Got it. Thanks for your input guys.

Adam,
I respectfully disagree. Not everyone can learn at an accelerated pace and those that can handle the pace don’t necessarily become the best aviators because they proved they could. Learning is always best in measured doses, with time to reflect on what you’ve done and how you could improve on it the next time you fly. I understand that ATP provides a quicker pace, and some people need or choose to learn faster for a number of different reasons. I would also add that a too slow pace is just as detrimental, if not more so to learning. To each his own.

I flew with Derrick at ASA in 83, in the Bandit and got my ATP at Peachtree in 83 or 84. Don’t think I flew with him Fedex.

Donald,

We’ll agree to disagree. While I acknowledge all are different and learn differently, I again ask were you given as much time as you liked during your airline training to give you the warm fuzzies? I’m certain there are some great pilots who given the chance and some extra time could excel but the reality is that’s not how the airlines operate.

Adam