Historic Day - No more Jepp Binders!

Today, January 31, 2019, becomes the last day that ANY US Part 121 carrier (my airline Hawaiian to be specific) uses paper Jeppesen charts. It’s been a long time coming and lord knows we were holding on tight! We even had some newhires that had never used paper charts and had to get acclimated to them.

While I certainly won’t miss the weight of the binders nor the bi-monthly revisions, I am somewhat torn regarding my flight case. Call me old, but in my mind the classic leather flight is synonymous with “airline pilot” and when I see all the pilots pulling their rollers without I always think they forgot something. Thinking it’s still pretty handy for my headset, lunch, Emergen-C, Clorox bleach pen, gum, pens, Sani-coms, Hula girl duster, flashlight…oh yea and my tablet!

Adam

6 Likes

My suitcase balanced better with the flight bag hooked onto it. That being said, I sure do not miss it.

Welcome to the future, Adam!

Thank you Tory.

Actually for me it’s not that big a deal since I only go to 5 airports but it’s good to finally catch up.

Adam

You really miss your suitcase don’t you? Haha

No one said you had to give it up. You could find a good use for it.

1 Like

When I was a new hire at Great Lakes in November 2017 I was so lost learning papercharts and how to keep up the binder with the revisions. I feel your pain, Adam.

Speaking of Jepp charts, I have my ForeFlight renewal coming up in about a month and am contemplating adding the optional Jepp plates ($200 extra) to get used to them as I’ve heard most airlines use them, but I don’t actually know whether or not that’s true. You guys think that would be worth the investment at all or should I save the money and just wait for the airlines? I’m probably still at least a year away from reaching ATP mins.

Kyle,

While it’s true most airlines use Jepps it’s an easy transition and nothing to be concerned about. Save your money.

Adam

1 Like

Kyle,

As long as you have some form of current charts and plates, you are fine. The transition is a very easy one.

Chris

1 Like

Kyle,

Google and YouTube are free. No, but seriously, don’t blow that much money on those charts. If you have questions, use the internet, your instructor, us…

Tory

1 Like