Height and Weight Restrictions

Hi. I have wanted to be a pilot for a very long time. I recently have gotten to a point in my life to begin ATP. I do, however, have a few concerns about size. I am currently 6’3" and roughly 230 lbs. I read that the restrictions for ATP is 6’3" @ 250. My main question: Is this a restriction for ATP or airline companies. I’m okay with staying slim for school but was wondering if I would need to ultimately end my strong man training or if I could pick it back up after school and gain weight as an airline pilot.

James,

That’s ATPs restriction and it’s based purely on weight and balance of the training aircraft. It has nothing to do with the airlines. In fact I’ve know pilots taller and heavier.

What I might be careful about is selecting a good AME (aviation medical examiner) for your flight physical. While you could be in peak health, often body builder’s have high BMIs which is based purely on your height and weight with no consideration given to body fat etc… An AME who isn’t familiar or looks purely at the numbers could send you for additional testing just based on the numbers. While ultimately you’d be fine, it’s aggravation you don’t need.

Adam

I’ve read a lot about height restrictions and it appears that nothing is written in stone. As a look for aviation careers, I need to know if being 6’6-7” is too tall. Weight isn’t an issue. I know that’s too tall for the military but not clear on commercial. Thanks for your input.

1 Like

I’m looking to know as well. I’m in your situation. 6’6 and fit in a 172 fine but don’t want to be nixed for height alone

Rose,

The airlines have no restrictions but some flight schools (ATP for example) do.

Adam

Rose,

ATP has the final say. Admin are the Gatekeeper’s, not us. Here’s their number: 904-595-7950.

Tory

Rose,

I have known several airline pilots to be that taller, or taller. The airlines do not have a restriction on height, but many flight schools (including ATP) do. You will simply need to find one with aircraft that can accommodate your height.

Chris