Head Start

I’m currently finishing my Freshman year of college and I’ve wanted to be a pilot since I was 5 years old. I’ve been doing research and ATP seems like the best option. I’m just curious as to what I can do to get a head start on my career goals. I’m currently 18 and aspire to be an airline pilot someday. I want to know what steps to take to achieve this goal and most importantly what I can do to get the ball rolling at this stage. It’s a fast moving industry and I don’t want to get left behind.

Hello Diego,

My best advice is keep doing what you’re doing. Study hard and do well in school so you have a solid education and resume in the future. My only question is you don’t mention if you have any flight experience or not? If you’ve never been up in a small plane you need to. Dreams are great but flying frankly isn’t for everyone. Many people have aspirations to fly, until they go up and realize they really don’t like it (and no flying in back going on vacation doesn’t count). There’s really no point pondering a career as a pilot until you’ve actually been up so that’s what you need to do. In the mean time there’s plenty of information on the internet on aviation. Read away to keep your interest peaked. That all said, until you actually start training there’s really not much to do to get the ball rolling.

Adam

Awesome! Thank You! And yes I have I took an intro flight about two weeks back and I absolutely loved it. It was a great experience.

Great to hear! Like I said, just keep doing what you’re doing.

Adam

Diego,

I agree with Adam on this one. Do well in your studies and graduate college on time. From there I would go to flight school, I really don’t recommend mixing the two. This way you can focus on college, then on flight training.

Chris