Having a few issues

I am an ATP student and have been for the past 3 weeks. For the first 2 weeks I had an instructor who was calm, informed and great at communicating/instructing. She was successful and moved on, to which I wish her well although sad to see her go.
My replacement instructor is brand new and I am his first student. Our first flight was continued takeoff and landings, which I had become confident with previous instructor. So this was the beginning of the disaster for me. Apparently everything I had previously learned was incorrect according to this guy although it conformed fully with ATP flight supplements, the POH and training videos. I was given multiple but conflicting instructions about adding flaps, airspeed and altitude while in closed traffic. I called the flight short as I no longer had any confidence in my ability and did not feel safe in the plane. This was discussed and I was told that I should not be a robot and just follow the rules? Obviously I was frustrated and very demotivated, but more importantly I lost all the confidence I had built to date.
I reported this to the training manager via email and said that I would give it another day to see how it would pan out
Today there was extreme lack of communication, for example we took off after a jet had just left and as we were climbing he shouted 89 wake at me. I asked for clarification and the reply was we would discuss it on the ground. When we did discuss this he said that as I was potentially in a jet wake I needed to climb at Vx of 89. I pointed out, with the supplement that Vx of this plane was 62 and Vy74. I am confused to say the least, but I am paying for this time for an instructor to learn. He also told me that I needed to buy Microsoft flight sim as that’s the only way to learn. However, before I started I was warned to steer clear of pc sims by two airline pilot friends.
I am dude to have a conversation later with the training manager about my feelings and what my options are.
I would welcome views here about whether I give this guy a chance and carry on for a while to see what happens or not. Also I would value others point of view regarding pc based sims.
There are other very capable instructors here and I am still excited about my career reboot decision, I am early 40s, open and flexible and willing/wanting to learn.
Thank you for your consideration and feedback in advance.

1 Like

Correction 68 wake was shouted not 89.

Good day Rick! First off, I’m sorry you’re going through this. Me personally, I’d DEFINITELY request a new instructor!!! However, he’s a “new” instructor, with very little experience, so we have to factor that in as well. At the end of the day, we’re all paying a pretty penny to reach our dreams here, with no money to waste! With that being said, if YOU feel it isn’t working, make the change. I hope this helps, CHEERS!!!
LaMorris

Rick,

While there are 2 sides to every story and obviously I wasn’t there, first and foremost YOU ARE A CUSTOMER and a customer who paid a considerable amount of money. While I appreciate the guy is new there are seldom (if ever) times for anyone to be shouting in the cockpit. You also say the first 2 weeks were fine so it’s not like you’re just a difficult student. Bottomline if you’re not happy this is YOUR time and money and you have the right to be. In my mind 2 chances is plenty but your call.

Adam

Rick,

I am sorry to hear that you are having some issues with your new instructor. Without being there it is of course hard to really form an opinion, but it sounds like you need to have a good, honest talk with the training center manager. If you are not satisfied with the results of that discussion then I suggest that you contact ATP Admin in Florida and ask to talk to somebody in management. Remember that you are the customer and that you deserve to have the education you have paid for.

Chris

Hang in there Rick, I’ve been impressed by every instructor I’ve met so far at ATP. I started less then 2 weeks ago, my instructor is brand new, and He’s awesome! Needless to say, it’s a BIG company with lots of instructors, so I would say try and get a new instructor maybe with more experience until you can get settled in at least.

Good Luck!
Noah

Problem resolved. The training manager was cool in listening to my concerns and has given me a better suited instructor. I didn’t need to escalate to corporate and I am happy with the outcome.
Another positive point for choosing ATP as my flight school. They really do want us to succeed and work with you to make it work.
Thank you for your feedback here.

2 Likes

Rick,

Really glad it worked out to your satisfaction. As you said everyone here (and there) simply want you to be successful.

Now get back to work! :slight_smile:

Adam

1 Like

I am glad it all worked out :slight_smile:

I’m glad it worked out!