Guidance in which way I should go

Hey all,

I have been kind of in a bit of confusion in what i should do for my future in becoming a pilot one day. I currently have 37 units in a community college and was thinking of just hitting the 60 unit mark and joining ATP pilot program as they require just 60 units. I eventually do want to get my B.S. in potentially Aviation but I’m not sure if I should just go for my degree now or after ATP flight school. What do you guys think is the better route?

Emanuel,

You don’t mention your age and that’s a big factor. If you’re young (under say 25) I’d say finish your education first since you’re still in school mode and have many years left to fly. If however you’re in your 30s or older time becomes more of a factor and I’d flying asap.

Adam

Appreciate the reply Adam. I am 22 yrs old. Another quick question, I’m currently studying physics and was thinking of changing it to “Aviation” but just seen your comments on being a pilot with an account degree but not vice versa and really made me think I should just stick to physics… What are common degrees that pilots typically have? or does it really vastly range.

Emmanuel,

Degrees vary tremendously in the aviation community. One day you could be flying with a guy that has an expensive aviation degree from Embry-Riddle, the next you could be flying with someone who has a theater arts degree. Most of the guys here will recommend that you don’t get an aviation degree so that you had something to fall back on if flying doesn’t work out. I’d stick with your physics degree and get that knocked out instead of trying to get an aviation degree. Good luck with your endeavors.

Emanuel,

I am a big fan of finishing college, then going to flight training. This might take a bit longer than going right after you get an associate’s degree, but it is easier to simply stay in school mode and finish a degree than trying to go back and do so.

Chris

Emanuel,

Pilots have all sorts of degrees, anything from business administration (me) to piano composition and everything in between. Stick with something that interests you.

Chris