Ground Training

Hello guys,

Just a quick question, I know that the Airline Pilot Career program is mostly self study, I was just wondering as instructors did you guys have any set time to sit down and go over items with students, I.E a ground school type environment, or is it just done as need be when things come up, I’m sure I have asked this question when visiting ATP, but just looking for your insights, thank you.
Kristopher Lotko

Kristopher,

I believe there are some topics that are required by the FAA to be covered in ground with your instructor. I am currently in the program now and all of the instructors at my location are are very helpful. My instructor, as well as the others have said that if there is something I don’t understand to ask them for help and they would sit down and go over the topic with me.

Kristopher,

When I was in the program and when I was instructor I always had sit down time with my students in advance of their flights or simulator sessions to go over the material of the day or to review other topics. While the program involves significant amount of self study there are significant ground school type portions of it.

Chris

Good to know, I feel confident in my self study abilities, but some things Ive come across I feel like I could understand more clearly if it were explained one on one, as always gentleman, thank you for the response.
Kristopher Lotko

Kristopher,

When I was at ATP we were given assignments every evening with chapters to read and quizzes to be completed. The next morning we’d review the previous night’s work. If all was good, no questions, move on, if not, we’d dive in until it was clear. Very efficient in my opinion.

Adam