Graduating without a major

I am currently a private pilot licence with 140+ hours. I used to be a flight student at a 4 year university program for flight science, but I was dropped from the flight course due to lack of progress while working on my instrument rating (I was faced with a lot of hurdles at the time). They discontinued my flight training and I am no longer able to fly there. I am unable to graduate with their flight science degree. They told me since I have so many college credit (was a biology major before) I can graduate with a major-less bachelors degree (I think they call it a liberal arts degree). I want to finish my flight training at a different flight school.

Two questions:

1. Would having a major-less bachelors degree effect my chances of joining a regionals and majors?
  2. Would having switched flight schools be a red flag in my employment?

Any advice would help

Alex,

I have never heard of a major-less degree, but I would certainly take it if I were you as any degree is better than no degree. I do not really see this as being an issue for you.

Switching flight schools is not a big deal at all, it happens all the time. Just make sure that you have taken care of whatever issues you need to prior to starting up again.

I would also caution you against restarting flight training if you already have multiple checkride failures.

Chris

1 Like

Alex,

I actually have a Liberal Arts degree and have never had a issue. Both Chris and I but started our training at other schools and completed it with ATP so that’s no issue either. The fact the school discontinued your flight training is a concern and as Chris said, if it was due to external factors you want to make certain they’re all addressed before you start again. My only other concern would be if the school you get your degree from is well known for their aviation programs you being asked why you didn’t get your degree or your training there?

Adam

1 Like

I never failed any checkride. I have failed my commercial written once. Would the school discontinuing me be on my record? The school was WMU.

1 Like

Since its WMU (vs Riddle or maybe Kent State) you’ll be fine. As for the written there will be no record but in all honesty there’s no reason to ever fail one. If you did it’s a matter of lack of preparation and obviously something that should be avoided in the future.

Adam

1 Like

Alex,

What reason did WMU give for discontinuing your flight training? One failed written exam does not seem like an appropriate reason to do so.

Chris