Getting into a major without a degree?

Steven,

I see what you’re saying. I have a green card myself and a foreign passport (though I can travel to any country without restriction). I’m sure that as long as you have a green card and a passport that doesn’t have any sort of restrictions, you should be fine. Double check with that specific airline, but my friends didn’t have any issues.

Yuran

Yuran and Chris,

Thanks for the information. A New Zealand passport generally is a pretty safe bet, but I’ll look further into it. Thanks for the info.

A New Zeland passport does not make one a US Citizen or permanent legal resident. Unless you meet those criteria, you will not be able to fly for a US based airline.

Hi Adam & Chris,

This isn’t a question about a degree but about having an ATP. Hawaiian announced there will be an Application Window this October. I meet all the requirements except the ATP. I’m scheduled to take the ATP-CTP this December and the practical test as soon as that is done. Is it still worth a shot sending in my resume? The last hiring window was January (10 months ago). I’d hate to miss this opportunity. Thanks!

That’s a tough one since there really is no “I meet all the requirements EXCEPT”. You either meet the requirements or you don’t. Obviously you can send you stuff in (doesn’t cost anything) I’m just not sure there’s a point. It’s been a while but I’m pretty sure the application asks “Do you have your ATP?”. If you answer No your application will be kicked BUT if you answer Yes you’re giving false information. Are you military because that could possibly help? I can inquire but I’ll need more info as to why you don’t have your ATP if you have the time.

Adam

1 Like

Hi Adam,

Thank you for the insight! Right, I imagine that is what is going to happen, they’ll see I don’t have an FAA ATP and I’ll automatically get disqualified. No, I’m not military. I work for the flag carrier of an airline in Asia flying as an A320 FO. I’m in the process of converting my foreign ATP license and my next step is to take the ATP-CTP so I can take the written exam followed by the practical test, all which has been scheduled for December, unfortunately that’s past the hiring window.

I agree but I’m still going to ask to be sure. You say you have everything else correct? (including the 1000hrs PIC). Stay tuned.

Adam

Yes, that is correct, I have 1000 PIC. Thank you Adam, I highly appreciate it!

I agree that companies can put various requirements on applicants especially the majors. What I have a HUGE issue with is that not all people have the money nor want to get in debt by going to college, some people actually decide to SERVE THEIR COUNTRY and join the military. The way I see it the Airlines are hypocrites, they claim to be pro military yet they dont give any credit to those that chose a different path (enlisted military). In my humble opinion the majors should change their standards regarding college to 4 year degree OR served in the military with an honorable discharge, of course all of the other necessary requirements would not change. Many other high paying careers have this option and also it shows the public that whether you went to college or served your country by joining the military, both are acceptable. College is in deed a commitment but isn’t the military a greater commitment? I having served in the USAF as a jet engine mechanic can say for certain that I chose the harder path compared to my college friends as I’ve heard it from them.
Again, just my opiinion…

Problem with your argument is if you do serve the government will pay for college so where’s the expense and debt? You could do your flight training, get your degree online (paid for by the government) and get hired by a Major. It’s you that’s choosing not fulfill your requirements they seek.

I’m also curious what other high paying jobs there are ($350k+) that don’t require a degree?

Adam

Sales for one, they are the highest salaries in the country. Since when does college make you any better or more prepared to fly an aircraft for a major? Regarding the GI Bill I did not pay into it and therefore am not eligible, so the paid by the government statement is false. I was an E3 and paid poorly and needed every dime to pay debts etc. I’m not saying that I made the right choice but I am saying it was a choice. If you have a valid arguement regarding enlisted military vs college then I’m listening. I am not trying to go to the majors I fly a corporate jet part 91 and fly 200 hours a year. I dont make 350k however I’m not 64 flying a 787 either.

Since when does college make you any better or more prepared to fly an aircraft for the Air Force? The Air Force seems to think the same thing as the majors. And flying for either is prestigious. Just having served is definitely not some magical go ahead to jump start anything. I could argue that the change could be instituted for anybody in terms of requiring a degree for the majors, not just military personnel. If you took that stance I would be more inclined to agree with you.

Not saying magical go ahead to jump start anything, I am saying my friends that went to college had a great 4 years. They drank, partied and yes studied a little in between. I had a much more serious and disciplined life in the military compared to college students. Dont forget you can get a degree in basket weaving as long as its accredited. Makes zero sense to me.

While the degree thing can indeed make zero sense, structured life in the military with tons of oversight to get your job done is a little bit different than partaking in all those activities and still getting a degree. The merits of any type of degree can be argued for and against.

Lets be honest though, it isn’t like enlisted personnel don’t get into tons of the same type of crap on their own like college students do. If anything, a lot of them go much harder. You just have the choice whether or not to partake. Are the consequences different for both parties? Sure, as it should be.

Now, do I disagree with you on military life being different than civilian life and everything associated? No, but at the end of the day YOU made the decision to sign that paper your recruiter handed you. Just like many others choose jobs outside of high school such as oilfield or construction etc. you made the conscious decision to go down that route. Why should your time doing a job qualify you over others who are also doing a job? And you aren’t in a combat AFSC either. In relation to the other jobs I mentioned, I’d say oilfield and construction would be even more dangerous. So arguing that point would be moot as well.

At the end of the day you need to come to terms with the fact you decided to join the military. Sorry to be so blunt but being salty about these decisions will not help you nor get you anywhere, especially in this industry. If you are serious about it, take a fast route. You already qualify to go to ATP because of your work experience, and then you could begin fulfilling the requirements of getting a degree later on down the line while you are also flying for a regional. That is definitely feasible and doesn’t require you to forgo training for several years while doing the whole 4 year college thing and then going to flight training.

Anthony,

Sales are nowhere near the highest “salaries”, they may be high earners but salesmen by definition rely on commission. Whatelse ya got?

Next while YOU may not be eligible for the GI Bill (as you said, your choice), the vast majority of people who serve are. If you had high debt when you enlisted who’s fault is that?

Finally where did I ever say college made you better prepared to be a pilot? Do I have a valid argument? I must certainly do. The Majors want a 4yr degree. Right, wrong or otherwise that’s the price of admission. Want to fly corporate? News flash the top corporate jobs want 4yr degrees too.

I’m no motivational speaker but where there’s a will there’s a way. There are plenty of pilots who have struggled and worked their tails off getting where they are. If it’s just about income then maybe you should take one of those sales jobs. If you want to fly then train and get hired at a Regional. Maybe after some time you’ll calm down and decide maybe a little education isn’t such a bad thing and do something about it.

Or you can keep jumping up and down complaining about how unfair it is. Like everything else you’ve done so far it’s your choice.

Peace out

Adam

Anthony,

This isn’t the Vietnam era, you weren’t drafted. You decided to enlist and I think that is great, but just like the USAF doesn’t hand jets to enlisted people, neither do the major airlines. There was a time when the regional airlines didn’t either, but they have softened their stances as the pilot shortage has hit.

I can’t think of a single higher level job that will waive basic education requirements because somebody enlisted in the military. Serving the country is not a substitute for medical school, law school, teaching school. etc.

There is a way that you can use your military experience to completely skip the regional airlines and go straight to the majors. You can sign up for Officer Candidate School, then get a pilot slot, serve ten years as a military pilot and then go straight to the major airlines and never once have to touch a regional jet. But to even start that process, the military will require you to have a four year degree.

Look, I completely respect your service to our country and am glad that people like you volunteer to do it. But it isn’t a substitute for higher education and very few professions regard it as such, even the military.

Chris

Have you served Caleb?

Again I have a great corporate job, have been here for 14 years. I am a chief pilot for the last 13 years. I was a regional pilot for 5 years and was caught up in the 9/11 furloughs which forced me to corporate. Prior to that I was a police officer for 7 years and put myself through flight school with my hard earned money and zero debt. Listen here Mr. Big Hawaiin Airline pilot your a joke, condescending and you should get background before making assumptions. You certainly should not be a mentor!!

We are glorified bus drivers, we get high pay because we are stupid enough to be flying in the flight levels getting high doses of gamma radiation (they dont tell you that when looking into pilot careers) we sacrifice family time, holidays and other events to fly. I have passed countless part 121 training and recurrent courses and also have 3 type ratings. I think you need to really look at our career choice and see it for what it is, we are radiatiated bus drivers with a cool view. You cant compare our career to CEO, Lawyer, Doctor etc. Be real with thy self.
http://jag.cami.jccbi.gov/cariprofile.asp

Anthony,

I was honestly done but I wanted to thank you (no sarcasm) for that link. Pretty cool and interesting. Fortunately even on my potentially worse flight I’m only getting .00021 millisieverts so I’m doing ok.

As for the rest if when you say I’m a joke you mean my life makes people smile then I most certainly am! I am a very well paid glorified bus driver (actually it’s a Boeing), fly for a wonderful bus company, am based in HNL and live on the water about 20min from the airport. Not bad for a poor kid from the Bronx who paid for his own education. I’m truly blessed and fortunate.

You’re right I shouldn’t make assumptions but let’s be honest, if your life was where you wanted it you wouldn’t be on here trolling or still be complaining about the people you know who had fun in college while you were serving your country many years ago.
When I hear how angry and frustrated you are, trying desperately to drag us down, giving us your questionable resume, I feel bad. I’m going to pray for you (yes I’m serious). I sincerely hope you find your way.

Ok let’s try this again, Peace out.

Adam