Real Answers from Real Pilots

Gabriel

Gentlemen- what is the latest info on the dearth of pilots for the Charter/Cargo firms. I understand it is quite high and do I need to be current on my instrument time to get interest from the Charter firms?
I am a licensed commercial pilot with instrument and ME ratings. I look forward to your response.

Gabriel,

The entire industry is experiencing a shortage of pilots and virtually everyone is hiring. You most definitely need to be current. You make no mention of how much time you have and that could be a factor? While there is no 1500hr Rule for Part 91 operations most charter company’s do have insurance issues that require a fair amount of time. I recommend you do some Googling and see what jobs are out there.

Adam

1 Like

Thanks Adam for your input. I have approximately 3,000 hours TT with 500 hours in a King Air 90C(SIC) which would count toward my turbo time and 300 hours in a DC-3(SIC). would I be subject to Part 135 as opposed to 91 or both?

Gabriel

Gabriel,

Sounds like you have plenty of time. Part 91 or 135 entirely depends on the company you work for and what they’re set up under. I’d get current and start looking.

Adam

1 Like

Thank you so much Adam I appreciate your input and candor.

Gabriel

Gabriel,

One issue you might run into is that your King Air and DC-3 time is SIC. While this certainly country towards your time, you might find that some of the charter companies will want to see more PIC time.

Any particular reason you are not interested in going to the airlines?

Chris

HI Chris- I am not going to the airlines as I am over 65. I do have some time as PIC on the King Air but the majority is as a SIC.

Gabriel