Friend with charges looking to make Majors

So my friend is getting ready to join me in CFT with an end goal of working the majors for both of us. He doesn’t have this forum, however, so I told him I would ask for some Insight from Adam and Chris and any of the other mentors on their thoughts or experiences seeing this or dealing with it. We are more than likely going to do ATP for all of our training, but we also will entertain AA Cadet and Lift Academy as we won’t be able to start training until winter which gives us some time to explore best options. Here’s the question: he has 3 or 4 misdemeanor charges on his record with nothing on it since 2007. However, the charges apparently consist of drunk in public in college in 2007 as well as a couple misdemeanor petit larceny charges stemming from an incident in college as well. We have read through the TSA background check information and seen where it consistently states 7 years prior, I think he is just worried about the types of charges he has if he ever does have to divulge the information in a “have you EVER” type situation. Any info or insight into this would be very helpful for us/him! Thanks everyone and enjoy the last bit of your weekends.

Brett, the mentors on here abide by honesty. There was a thread recently discussing a situation like this but can’t remember what it was called. His best bet is If in a Federal application question or interview he is asked “have you ever been charged” well yes you have. If the question asked “have you been charged in the last 10 years”, no you haven’t. Simply answer the question that’s being asked honestly and if an explanation is needed he must explain himself and prove to them he’s a person they can trust.

That’s just in response to the situation you mentioned at the end. As for if he’d even get considered and hired, the mentors will be able to answer better than me.

Ankel,

Thanks for the reply and the help! I did read those posts in relation to it but yes I think he’s more so concerned with will he get an automatic boot so to speak or would he be wasting his time due to having charges/types of charges. He definitely plans on being upfront and honest when asked about them. Thanks!

Brett

1 Like

Brett,

Your friends first problem is getting his medical. The FAA asks about ANY drug or alcohol related charges EVER. Not 7yrs, not 10yrs but EVER. That will cause the FAA to dig deeper and perhaps ask for documentation. If in fact he hasn’t had an issue since 2007 he shouldn’t have any issues getting his medical. Further with the current pilot shortage he should be fine making it to a Regional. The problems will present themselves later when he wants to move up to the Majors.

Major airlines are the pinnacle of our industry and I’ve seen good pilots get passed up for far less. It’s not necessarily impossible but the question he needs to answer is would he be happy spending his career as a Regional pilot as that may be as far as he gets.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks a lot sir for the reply and advice. As it’s been 12-13 years, I do think he should be fine with the medical and hopefully by the time majors rolled around, in what would be 20 years or so from anything on record down the road, his experience, education and proof of turning a new leaf over 20+ years would be a strong case for employment! Promising. Thanks for the input and if anyone else has some to give, by all means.

Brett

Brett,

Personally I would not hire your friend. Not because of the drunkenness, but because of the petty larceny charges. That being said, I am not on any interview panels. I would strongly recommend that your friend call the recruiting departments of several regional airlines and ask them directly. I do not see him ever being hired by a major airline.

Chris

1 Like

Chris,

Thanks for your reply. I will pass along for him to call the recruitment departments for some locals and see what the majority of them are saying. I get the stance on not hiring, however, from what I’ve been told about the charge, it sounds like more of wrong place wrong time than a guilt. Also, if you were on the interview panel…if he was to be able to get a medical, and then nothing was ever asked of him throughout hiring except “in the last ten years” or “seven” or anything other than “have you ever…”, theoretically, you wouldn’t ever know the difference whether he had those charges would you ? Asking Bc I simply do not know. Thanks and have a great Monday!

Brett

Brett,

The airlines ask “have you ever…”. Bottom line is that there are a lot of pilots out there that do not have any charges, your friend will have to really distinguish himself in other ways to make up for that.

Chris

Brett,

Let me say this as someone who’s been on hiring panels. When your friend is asked about the charge, if his response is ANYTHING near “wrong place wrong time”, “wasn’t my fault” etc he’s done. Are you saying he’s just unlucky? The only thing worse than having a record is having one and not owning it. That might fly with a single random arrest but with “3 or 4”? I wouldn’t want a person with that much bad luck flying for my airline.

Adam