Flying for leisure on off days

Hey everyone!

I have been looking into joining a flight school and I am just waiting for this whole wedding thing to blow over so I can start planning for real (Actually super excited to get married). I really enjoy reading all the stores and topics posted and I thank you for all the answers I have been given just from lurking around.

I was wondering how many pilots may have a personal plane or are a member of an “aero club” and enjoy flying on their off days for fun. I think it is definitely something I would want to do WHEN I become a pilot. After school is paid for of course.

Thanks!

Kyle,

That’s actually an interesting question. I don’t actual have numbers or percentages but the majority of the pilots I know don’t. There are a few who are hardcore aviation enthusiasts but not many. For me I get my fix when I work and do other things in my spare time (paddle, cycle and other water sports). Many others I know are frightened they could jeopardize their livelihoods. See if you get violated or have an incident while flying recreationally it could cost you your license and well the airlines have a problem paying pilots without licenses. Not trying to discourage you. As I said I know a few who are out there every weekend and if that’s your passion go for it. Just be careful.

Adam

Adam,

That is a great point that I hadn’t thought about. Nothing like losing your ability to do what you love by doing that very thing. I have a lot of other hobbies that I enjoy doing so there isn’t a shortage of things I could do in my free time. My soon to be wife would say I have too many hobbies. But I would imagine a higher percentage of pilots are involved in flight sim just for the lack of accountability in case something happens.

Thanks for the input!

Kyle,

Very few professional pilots are involved in flight simulator. We get our fix in real jets :slight_smile:

Chris,

I look forward to getting to the point where I love my job flying so much that I get my fix like that. Can’t wait!

Thanks!

Kyle,

I would say that it is a small percentage of pilots that fly on their days off. Most of us really like what we do, but get our airplane fix at work. After being spoiled by a Boeing I do not want to fly a little airplane :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Kyle,

Just as a gee whiz here’s a quick story. I was a new pilot at ExpressJet and found myself with a day off. Beautiful day, family was away, chores done and I’m thinking I’d like to go fly. Unfortunately I’m no longer single engine current so I’d need a check out and that’s going to cost a few hundred bucks. Oh well. BUT, then I thought hey, let me check open time and there was this nice EWR-JAX-EWR turn! I picked it up. I got to fly up and down the East Coast but instead of paying I was getting paid! AND the RJ was a lot nicer than any 172 I ever flew! It was at that moment I concluded I do in fact have the greatest job on Earth! :slight_smile:

Adam

3 Likes