Finding a way to get jet time

After I complete all my training at ATP, I really want to start off flying for Skywest. I was looking over their minimum/competitive/preferred requirements for their applying pilots. In the competitive column, Skywest said that they like to see about 20 hours of jet time on the resume of their applicants. If I just plan on going to ATP, then flight instructing after, how do you guys recommend the best way to get those 20 hours of jet time? And also how expensive do you think it would be? Would it be worth it? Thanks guys!

Cameron,

I have no idea why that is on their requirements, but I can guarantee you that 90% of their new hire pilots have zero jet time. Don’t spend any money on jet time, just get your 1,500 hours and apply. If you have a clean record and are a good fit for Skywest, you should be fine.

Chris

Cameron,

I’m on SkyWest’s website right now. I don’t see any mention of any amount of jet time required for the First Officer position.
https://pilotcareers-skywest.icims.com/jobs/4636/first-officer-pilot/job

Tory

The 20 hours that I was looking at wasn’t required. It just showed that it was preferred. I will try to find the link that I saw that on and send it to you guys. I was just wondering if it was even worth it to spend all that money for only 20 hours, but you guys answered my question.

And from yall’s knowledge, which regional airlines are most competitive/desirable for pilots finishing training? Is there a certain airline most people want to get into, or would you say it is mostly based on pay/domicile location?

Cameron,

People flock to different regionals for different reasons. Some people look at location as the most important, other pay, quick upgrade time, aircraft type, etc. This means that there is no one regional that is the most desired, they all tend to be desired for different reasons.

Chris

Cameron,

As Chris said “best” is a very subjective term. In the end the “best” airline is the one that offers you a job.

Adam

1 Like