Final questions Before I Start

Thank you for the response! I am going back up tomorrow so I will simply FEEL the plane more. I think focusing on how MUCH I am climbing or descending and my altitude and my roll all at once makes me over think it. I need to use sensory and visual to fly the plane and use the 6 pack to confirm I am where I need to be.

The other factor for me is the swaying, and sinking and lifting sensations I just need to get used to and know I will be just fine. I am excited to get better though! Just have to fight past this new physical and mental experience!

Kyle,

Not sure I agree with Blake. Not everyone is overwhelmed, some are, some are not, and not everyone spends all their time inside. Different people respond differently to their first flight generally depending on their expectations. You’re looking at this as the first step towards a potential career as an airline pilot (which it may very well be) and therefore taking this way too seriously and looking at these early flights as decision makers. You want to be a pilot and that’s great but you aren’t a pilot yet. What I’m saying is I wouldn’t try quite so hard to be in control or in command, you’re not and that’s fine. You’re spending time looking inside because you’re trying to understand what’s going on and again be in control. My advice is to RELAX. Look out the window and enjoy. You don’t have to love it or turn this into a make or break situation. Just relax, look around, take in the view and listen to your instructor but above all enjoy the experience. The pilot stuff will come later.

Adam

Kyle,

While not everybody has these feelings, they are normal. Try to remember that you are at the very beginning of a long journey and each lesson is just a small building block in what will become your pilot education.

As long as there is a CFI next to you, you are not in command, so don’t worry about things like that.

Just relax and take it one day at a time.

Chris

I know that some flight schools overseas require passing an aptitude test before admitting an applicant. Does ATP offer any type of aptitude testing, similar to that of airlines, before enrollment? It seems like a good idea to find out if someone has the aptitude to be a pilot early in the process rather than after spending several thousands. I’m sure you guys have taken these tests before, are they any indication of how well someone would perform on the job? Also, do the ATP locations have a career advisor to help with airline applications and interviews? Thanks!

Matt,

Short answer is no ATP does not test their students, I’m not aware of any flight school in the US that does? (btw nor do any airlines here in the US, if you have the experience to meet the airline’s mins they “assume” you’ve got the aptitude). I honestly can’t disagree that it might save some people some time and money (the airlines as well). In fact I have never taken an aptitude test (although Hawaiian does require a psych eval) nor do I know anyone else who has. I suppose it’s a matter of whether you have the confidence in yourself and your abilities to take the shot. For those people that aren’t certain I often recommend starting flight training locally and earning your Private license first before making the commitment as that will give you a good idea if you do have any talent for it.

While ATP doesn’t have any formal “career advisors” they have created this forum to help in the process. All the mentors on here are current airline pilots and ATP has been helping pilots get hired by the airlines for 30+ years. The reality is the pilot shortage is so great right now if you successfully complete your training and build the required time the Regionals will be fighting over you. I flew for a Regional for almost 9 years and have been at a Major for over 5 and I receive solicitations daily from recruiters.

Adam

Hey Adam,
Just wanted to ask a question based on your #2 response. Can professional pilots still fly recreationally? ie grabbing a $100 hamburger on the weekends sometime?

Erik,

Professional pilots can absolutely still fly recreationally and many do.

Chris

Matt,

You absolutely can and many pilots I know do. I’m ashamed to say I haven’t in years but I think about it often. The truth is I’ve been so coddled flying for the airlines, ALWAYS on an IFR flight plan with many pairs of eyes keeping me legal I’m concerned that I’ll do something stupid that’ll cost me my ticket. The fact is your pilot’s license is your pilot’s license whether you’re flying for an airline or going for that $100 hamburger. Do something dumb enough and that burger will cost you ALOT more than $100. That said I was actually having this exact conversation earlier today with a friend/FO who has a Grumman Cheetah in OGG and wants to go flying. Only thing is if we go HE’LL be PIC and I’ll be the one pointing at him :wink:

Adam