Final questions Before I Start

Bradley,

It is like any other job, some people get through the cracks in the interview process, others change once they get hired. Pilots are people, just like anybody else.

Chris

Bradley,

I honestly ask myself that question everytime I’m sitting next to one? I guess people put on their “interview” faces and suck it up through probation. As Chris said, pilots are people, some are good, some not so much.

Adam

Hi again Chris,

Happy to report my start date is March 19th! I’ve alreay begun studying and burning through the material and loving it so far. Thanks to everyone for answering my questions!

Kyle

1 Like

Kyle,

That is fantastic news. Thanks for the update and please keep in touch as you go through the program.

Chris

Sorry Adam I’ve been really busy, found a much better paying job had to leave my previous one because the physical work was a killer and this new one is all drop & hook and forklift on dock when I have to unload after they build a new dock in 6 months. Thanks for the reply. Looks like now I’m gonna be closer to 55 before I can start school if I get financed just keeps getting later and later… I still have $7500 to pay off! So far just getting financed seems the hardest part of the flight school just getting over the first obstacle! Only reason why I’m still considering it is because I talked to someone at Key Lime airlines and they said that if they hired me to fly cargo or charter I can keep flying past 65 as long as I (obviously) can keep my first class medical. I live 4 miles from them and ATP so that’s my goal if I can make it all the way from zero to commercial to CFI here at Centennial.

Bradley,

I certainly feel for you and your situation. I would like you to keep in mind that with your age, you are really placing all of your eggs in one basket. What if Key Lime doesn’t hire you? I think you are getting to the point where most regionals are going to think very hard before bringing you on board. Even if they do hire you, you will never be able to pay off your training loan before you retire, meaning that you will be entering retirement with debt.

I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but I think you should really think hard about this before pursuing this career any further.

Chris

Oh thanks for the reply Chris I didn’t ever expect to hear from you after you shut me down during Christmas? Anyway, my plan was to fly for another 20 years. If I can’t get on with Key Lime then I could fly with regionals a couple of years, but you’re saying that at 57 they’re probably not gonna hire me? I thought you guys said regionals would hire some who asked about being hired at 57? Wish I would’ve known this before paying off 15k in the last year? Kirk was telling me that I definitely still had a chance and someone in the ATP office in charge of airline tuition department, can’t remember her name, said I could still fly another 20 years that there is no age limit for cargo or charter as long as you can keep your first class medical… so who’s not giving me a realistic answer when I was told to keep pursuing getting financed??

Oh I was also planning on paying the loan off in half the time as that would be the only debt I would have and cargo pays really well after first couple of years; well that’s what I found in my research.

Bradley,

We have all been very up front with you about your odds of getting a job. But with any pilot there is always the possibility of not getting hired and for you that possibility increases with every delay you encounter and you just spoke of another one.

There are no guarantees in this industry. I was simply pointing out that the clock is ticking.

Chris

Bradley,

I the one who said you “can” get hired at 57 (and I believe you will). Chris is simply saying there are no guarantees. I mean no disrespect but you do seem to have a bit of an attitude and if that shows up during the interview it won’t go well. We’re all simply trying to give the best advice we can. Relax.

Adam

I’m sorry I’m just really frustrated so I must come across like I have an attitude I’m mad at myself for having to pay so much off and not seeing this opportunity 20 years ago; I can’t believe ATP has been in biz for 40 years and I never knew it; just didn’t think it was ever an option I’ve been broke all my life!
Of course I understand there are no guarantees but I’m willing to take a huge risk if this all works out and I can make it. I have never liked driving I want more of a challenge where I can use my technical skills. I apologize I appreciate you guys and the advice, thank you and thanks to Tory and Chris.
The reason why it’s taking longer to get financed is because I moved down here not by choice but the owner had to sell the house and I suggested moving close to airport which they agreed since they’re now retired. I also thought I needed to have more $ saved up so maybe like Chris said if it’s urgent to get in sooner I can get this all paid off by mis summer but I still won’t get into school til fall with having to wait for a slot.

Thanks Chris I obviously over reacted, I apologize! So it’s back to plan A I can pay this off in next 3-4 months hopefully, if I don’t have to save thousands like Adam pointed out. I don’t plan on failing any checkrides just wanted to prepare. I expect excellence from my efforts and plan on being well prepared, work extremely hard to be as successful as I possibly can! I’m trying to do another intro flight with ATP but it’s been 60 mph winds and not sure if anyone is flying; hopefully I can go Fri or Sat. Thanks for your honesty Chris I really appreciate all 3 of you being very candid and realistic with me, that’s why I like this forum! :+1::grin:

Bradley, Bradley, Bradley,

No sorry necessary, I’m simply pointing out no one meant any harm. Listen, I’m a Capt at a Major and I sometimes ponder why didn’t I start at 22 while listening to the guys who did and are 15yrs younger than me but are now SENIOR Capts complaining they only get 20 days off a month and do I have any idea how much taxes get taken out of their $30,000 monthly pay and how their 401Ks are almost maxed out already bla bla bla while the 12yo FOs complain they weren’t hired immediately after High School and how this job stinks because they’d rather be home playing X-Box. Trust me I feel your pain. Thing is Bradley we all are where we are for better or worse and thinking coulda, shoulda, woulda doesn’t do a thing but cause regret. You need to look forward and do the best you can and who knows? You may be very pleasantly surprised. Until you sit next to you first whiney peckerhead complaining how bad life is because the barista didn’t put enough foam on his venti salted caramel double soy macchiato :slight_smile:

Adam

2 Likes

Wow they make 30k/month and bitch about how bad they have it!?? :drooling_face:Some people have no clue how great their lives are. How long have you been a captain at Hawaiian Air, i thought yiu were still an FO as of last year, may be I read that wrong? Congrats on a huge achievement from where you started, I think your story is very inspirational it definitely cheered me up just reading it now! Thanks Adam it means a lot to me and gets me pumped up about a possibly great future ahead! :wink::grin::+1:

I upgraded this past November. Thanks for your kind words. Life is good :slight_smile:

Adam

Hey Adam,

A bit off topic but I’m 27 and this little window you have in this reply inspires me actually. after researching being a career pilot, having a family member that is a 777 captain at American, and researching ATP for the past 6 months I finally got my start date and I kept thinking to myself “wow I’m late I should’ve done this five years ago” I know I’m not THAT late of course, I just keep thinking shoulda coulda woulda like you mentioned but at least I already have my 4 year degree and I spent the past 5 years owning my own business.

Anyway, this reply is just “comforting” I suppose. I’m not sure how old you are but It just makes me realize I’m not late, and I’m glad that I’m jumping in when I am!

How are these guys this young and already senior captains? How long did you work for Hawaiian before getting promoted? (Congrats btw!)

I am only 5 days into the self study but I’m so excited to start my first day and learn to FLY! So damn cool to have the ability, opportunity and privilege to learn how to fly and make it a career!

Kyle,

Glad to help. I’ve been at Hawaiian for 5yrs and upgraded in November after 4yrs 9-ish/mos. Hawaiian is and has been expanding very quickly which was one of the things that attracted me to the airline. I’m old as dirt at 54 and didn’t start training with ATP till I was 39. As for how these guys are so young and Capts, Hawaiian has a proud tradition of hiring legacy pilots. Many of the pilots here are second and third generation AND if you are there’s a good chance you’ll get hired at the mins and even without a degree.

Study hard do well and you’ll be at an airline in no time. Starting now you should be hired by 29ish so I’m also annoyed/jealous of you and consider you a peckerhead as well :wink:

Adam

1 Like

I thought you just turned captain that’s awesome, what’s it like?

Ah wow that’s awesome! Hawaiian would be such a cool airline to fly for. I know nothing about it though. According to my fiancé’s stepdad, he’s been telling me for years delta is best (as far as pay and employee happiness is concerned). So, as of now, I’m aiming for delta, southwest, and American in that order of priority. However, I’m not set in stone, I’m brand new to the game and who knows what will happen 2-3 years from now and where my priorities will lie and what opportunities will come along.

I’m sure you’ve worked your ass off to get to the point you’re at. From the little I know, under 5 years is fast to be promoted to captain so that awesome!

You’re right though, I am very fortunate to be a younger peckerhead jumping in when I am! But I can guarantee you I won’t complain about TWENTY DAYS OFF in a month! Holy hell! That blows my mind… I thought working 20 and off 10 sounded good! But the other way around??

I’ve been working hard to pay down my ASU loan early these past 5 years and I’m ALMOST done only to be taking on an even bigger debt for flight school! So once I eventually get to a higher pay scale, I can’t ever imagine complaining about that either…

Anyway, I’m ranting. Thanks again for the insight and perceptive. It’s motivated and excited me more to jump into this and get going on my own career! I’m tired of owning a business, it’s nerve racking as hell and driving sales can be scary and uncertain some months. Plus, lack of benefits REALLY sucks!

Bradley,

First this isn’t my first time in the left seat. I was a Capt at ExpressJet for almost 6yrs so it kinda feels like I’m back where I belong. While I’m glad to have upgraded I’m actually more excited about flying Interisland again. Short flights, only work half the day and home EVERY night. Best gig in aviation.

Adam