Final questions before I make my decision

Russell,

Thank your sharing your insights into this.

Chris

Since there is a shortage, does that mean that the requirements/quality of airlines and pilots are going down? Who are the instructors, and what are they like? Are they expecting you to pass, and do they enjoy or want the piloting industry to grow? If there is a shortage some vets may not want new people because they may lose out on jobs.

Andre,

1. Part of the reason for the shortage is that the govt RAISED the requirements adding considerable time to the process. Further shortage or not all pilots have to pass the same FAA checkrides.

2. I assume when you ask “who are the instructors?” you’re talking specifically about ATP as there are thousands of people flight instructors nationwide. As for ATP they’re all ATP grads who successfully completed their training and are now building time to earn an airline job. They come from all walks of life, age, gender and backgrounds.

3. I can’t speak for everyone but when I was instructing I definitely wanted my students to pass, be successful and wanted the industry to grow (why wouldn’t and why wouldn’t everyone?). That’s simply good mentoring and I still do which is why I participate on this forum.

4. The fact there is a shortage means there’s more jobs for more pilots. As a senior pilot you’re only losing your job if you do something pretty bad. If things were to get and jobs were cut it’s the new guys who get furloughed.

Adam

2 Likes

I would agree, thanks a lot Adam