Family life as a pilot

As a pilot I imagine some flights can be hours to days to weeks away from home. My question is how much time would you be able to spend with family and does family interfere with your life as a pilot?

Carlos,

I’ve never heard of family interfering with work but work can definitely interfere with family life. Depending on the airline you fly for and the operation yes you could be gone hours, days or even weeks. It can vary considerable but the average pilot is gone half the month.

Adam

1 Like

Carlos,

Take a look at the Schedules section. How much time a pilot spends at home varies from person to person. There are always exceptions to the rule but generally a pilot is home half the month and gone for 3-5 days at a time.

I agree with Adam. Depending on how you look at it, family never interferes with work. It’s the other way around.

Tory

1 Like

Carlos,

I do not think that flying fir the airlines has a greater impact on family life than a lot of other jobs do. For example, hotels are full of business people that frequently travel for work. When many of those people get home, they launch right into more work. Verses pilots that have a large amount of time off each month that in my opinion, makes up for the time on the road.

Chris

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply