FAA Knowledge Exams

AirlinePilot Mentors,
First of all, thank you for the information thus far regarding my previous questions. This forum is a great resource! As I continue to plan for a start date perhaps by end of this year, or by early next year, I have some additional questions.

#1 - Regarding the required FAA knowledge exams, does ATP require scores of past exams? I am currently a rotorcraft helicopter flight instructor, and have passed the helicopter commercial and CFI knowledge exams. I have also passed the fixed-wing private pilot knowledge exam and the FOI knowledge exam. I have the scores for all of these. Am I required to provide that paperwork to ATP?

#2 - In light of #1 above, will the instrument fixed-wing knowlege exam be the only FAA knowledge exam I am required to take during the airline pilot program?

Thanks again,
Dave Hoppmann

Dave,

ATP does not require past exams or scores provided you have the ratings. If your FW Private written is still current you’re good with that. The FOI is not necessary if you already have your CFI. You will however need your Instrument Airplane, Commercial Airplane, Flight Instructor Airplane, Flight Instructor Instrument exams.

Adam

Thanks, Adam.
I have my work cut out; I plan to study for, and pass all those prior to first day, which I think will make the actual training more optimal. And since I recently took early retirement from my “day job” in health care industry, I should have plenty of time.

I’ll write again with other questions as they come up!

Thanks again,
Dave

Dave,

Definitely a good idea. As you’re aware the Knowledge exams don’t really follow any actual curriculum so getting them out of the way will lighten your load significantly.

Adam

If you were to take all the knowledge exams prior to starting ATP, Do all the knowledge exams require a ground school course before you can take the exam? I know in order to take the private exam you do.

Joshua,

None of the tests require a ground school course (including the Private). You do need to study the material as little of it is innate or common knowledge. Beyond that you do need a sign off which you can get from an instructor or most of the test prep companies will provide with proof of successful practice exams.

Adam

Joshua,

None of the exams (not even the private) require a ground school course. Some of them do require instructor sign offs though. Take a look at this page for more information: https://atpflightschool.com/faqs/acpp-prep-written-knowledge-tests.html

Chris

Once you pass the exams you have two years to obtain that rating. Correct? If so, how soon would you recommend completing the exams prior to starting the program? My particular situation I am looking to start in two years due to family obligations. I just don’t want to to take them to early and have to retake them.

Thanks
Joshua

Joshua,

People learn and study differently. Some like to cram, others like to take their time. I definitely wouldn’t recommend taking the exams until you have a firm start date locked in. Generally people like to allow a week or 2 per exam.

Adam

Joshua,

I would say wait until you are about six months from a confirmed start date.

Chris