FAA First Class Medical Age

Joel,

That sounds like a solid plan except for the fact that you need to be at
least 23 to be eligible for a standard ATP rating. So, I would either
postpone your flight training until you are 21 or prolong your CFI career
until you’re 23.

Tory

@Tory earlier in this topic Adam said you would only have to be 21. I assume I’m am not understanding this right let me know of what I do not understand.
Thanks
Joel

Oh now I realize my mistake. U have to be 21 to be able to obtain an R-ATP not a regular ATP. Obviously I am very new to aviation and am not even close to a career. I just have had very high interest in aviation recently.
Apologies,
Joel

Also what do you think is a good idea to do with that extra year and also when to take it, after or before associates?

21 for a restricted ATP. There’s a difference. Since you’re planning on
attending ATP, you won’t qualify.

§61.153 Eligibility requirements: General.

To be eligible for an airline transport pilot certificate, a person must:

(a) Meet the following age requirements:

(1) For an airline transport pilot certificate obtained under the
aeronautical experience requirements of §§61.159, 61.161, or 61.163, be at
least 23 years of age; or

(2) For an airline transport pilot certificate obtained under the
aeronautical experience requirements of §61.160, be at least 21 years of
age.

Tory

Yep. You beat me to it. No problem.

Find a job and save as much money as you can. You won’t be able to work
during training. So, you’ll need savings to live off of.

Tory

Joel,

I will come back to my original advice, finish your four year degree, then go to flight training.

Chris

Joel,

While I agree with Chris that you should continue your education, I stand by my original statement that you could in fact get hired by a Regional at 21 with a R-ATP AND go to ATP. You would not be eligible for any of the military or university hour reductions however.

(f) A person who has 1,500 hours total time as a pilot, 200 hours of cross-country flight time, and otherwise meets the aeronautical experience requirements of §61.159 may apply for an airline transport pilot certificate under this section.

This section being: §61.160 Aeronautical experience—airplane category restricted privileges.

Adam

I stand corrected

Thank you guys so much for your input!