Equipment Recommendations

I’m set to start in December and have been looking at headsets and ipads. Does anybody have recommendations on which ones to buy or what worked best for you?

Thanks,
Anthony

Here we go…

BOSE BOSE BOSE! Chris? :wink:

Adam

2 Likes

I agree, definitely go for Bose, I only have David and Clarke’s currently from previous training years ago and I wished I had atleast the noise cancelling capabilities

1 Like

100% Bose A20 all the way. Also I recommend do NOT get the iPad mini. It’s better for the cockpit environment yes, but overal you will want the normal size(I think it’s 10.2)

1 Like

Definitely Bose A20. I have an iPad Air and it feels too big in the cockpit. Most people seem to have the mini.

Shameless plug for Clarity Aloft! The Bose are awesome, everyone has them, but I get headaches from over the head headsets. The clarify aloft is a solid alternative!!!

I am not a fan of the Bose, I think they make a strange humming noise when wearing them. They can also block out vital engine noise, that helps a pilot know the health of an engine. That being said, I am in the minority on this and most pilots seem to prefer the Bose.

Anthony,

Bose A20 and iPad Air 10.5” Retina display or smaller, down to iPad mini. The mini is the safest bet. Anything larger, up to 10.5 is personal preference. 64gb with cellular minimum.

Tory

1 Like

I have the 10.5 and even I think it’s almost too big :joy:

What size would you recommend?

I almost think the 9 inch is best. Not to big but not to small either. I mean the 10 inch works well too, just was saying I almost feel it’s on the edge of being to big

How are you using it? Kneeboard or X-grip?

Nothing. Just using it on my knee, nothing holding it there but I haven’t had any issues. Couldn’t find a cheap knee board for it so I have up searching

Bruh…
Kneeboard starter kit:

I made one of these for my student. Just as good as the $75 aviation-aluminum one I had. I was jealous of his actually.

Tory

2 Likes

My dude, you are a madman, how are you not using some sort of kneeboard?

That will make it much easier. I have a full size iPad and it’s completely manageable with a kneeboard

No idea :joy: but it works fine for me

I could see an examiner having a real issue with not having your iPad secured. I personally would tell you to secure it before flying. Loose objects in a cockpit can be very dangerous.

Chris

Ya I can see that being an issue. My biggest thing was I couldn’t find a fairly inexpensive one. Also for a while I could only find like 10.5 inch knee boards and with my iPad the specs say 11 inches so I didn’t want to buy one and not have it fit

If you’re a big guy the mini iPad would be best. I prefer the 10.5 because it’s easier read plates and gives you a bigger surface to write clearances on. The Muse case on Amazon is a must. It’s super durable and has a strong magnetic stand. The Apple Pencil is very helpful for writing down clearances.

I started with the Bose A20 and love it but it does muffle out certain noises that are important to hear. I purchased the Bose quiet comfort headphones and paired it with the uflymike microphone kit. It’s a nice quiet/lightweight headset and lets you pick up on the necessary airplane noises. The package runs you half the price of the A20.

1 Like

That’s an interesting set up. Is the Bose headset and/or mic battery operated, or is one or both powered off the planes jack?

I love hearing about the ingenuity of others.