Real Answers from Real Pilots

Emirates

I do apologize for all of the questions as of recent but I do appreciate all of your answers!

I know Emirates has a broad international crew and hires U.S. applicants. I was wondering if somebody can interpret these requirements for me.

What I understand is that one must have 2000 hours of flying an aircraft with an MTOW of 20 tons or more. Can you get this qualification with flying CRJs on regional carriers? Or do airlines like Emirates like to see other experience such as flying with a major airline on wider bodied aircraft?

The Max takeoff weight of both the EMB 145XR and the CRJ 200 is around 53,00lbs, so they more than exceed the 20 ton requirement that Emirates asks for. Of course those are the smaller airplanes in the RJ fleet, so all of the other RJs will meet the requirement as well. The airplanes that won’t are the Saab 340, the DH-8 and the Beech 1900, basically the turbo prop airplanes that are out there.

Of course wide body experience is always better, but I doubt that you will find many people leaving a major airline to go work overseas. Heavy airplane time at a cargo company would be rather attractive to them.
No worries on the questions, we enjoy it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nathan,

As Chris said, no worries on the questions, that’s why we’re here. I actually work with 2 former Emirates pilots and both were former Regional RJ guys. Fun Fact Emirates used to have the requirement over 30 tons but they rolled that back to accommodate the RJ guys.

Most pilots who go to the Middle East go for a few years to make some money then return to move on to a US Major.

Adam

Hi Adam. Thank you for the reply once again.

I hear Emirates is one of the hardest airlines to get into, is this true? If one moves to the middle east, do they usually qualify to fly wider body jets when they move back to the states?

1 Like

Nathan,

I wouldn’t say that’s true. As I said I know a few pilots who’ve gone and I don’t believe any of them were exceptional in any way. All had the required flight times and I suppose did well on the interview. Emirates often conducts Job Fairs throughout the year in the US to actively recruit. If that’s where you aspire to be I don’t believe it would be any more difficult than getting hired at any Major.

Nathan my friend you could be a Boeing 747 test pilot who flew Obama in AirForce One, doesn’t matter. When it comes time to get hired at any US airline you will be placed in the aircraft that airline needs you on and whatever is most junior (and that will not be a 747). Virtually everything at the airlines is based on seniority and frankly while your experience may help you get hired, after you are you will still be the most junior pilot at that airline. If the junior airplane is a 737 or A319 that is the plane you will be flying until such a time that your seniority will hold the aircraft you desire.

Adam

1 Like