Education

Alex,

To train with ATP you need either your PPL (Private Pilot License), a 2yr degree (or 60 credits) or equivalent work experience (which needs to be approved by ATP admin). You also need to have at least an hour or 2 of flight time (aka an intro flight) just to make certain you have some idea what you’re getting into.

Adam

Adam,

Thanks for the information.

Adam,

My current schedule is 6:45 to 3:00 M-F. Your story is truly inspiring and hopefully I can follow suit. Do you think getting some ground classes done and studying for the licenses are worth it this early in the game? I have three more years until my contract is up.

Donnell,

I appreciate you’re eager to start and enthusiastic but there’s really no need. Now knowledge is never a bad thing and if you want to read to keep yourself engaged by all means do so. You could even work on your Private a few days a week again just to build some time (it all counts) and again get your feet wet. I wouldn’t study for the licenses as the Written tests are really rote and they’re only good for 2 yrs.

Know that none of the above is required or will really impact your career but hey, flying is fun so why not.

Adam

Hey,
Sorry for the late reply but I spoke with some guys over at American Airlines and they suggested that I maybe think about going Air Guard in order to start flying? Do you have any knowledge on how this may impact getting the commercial. Would I still need something like ATP even though I have competed Air Guard Pilot’s Courses?

Donnell,

The military route is a great path, but make sure you do it because you want to serve in the military and not because you want free flight training. Joining the military is a life changing event and should be done based off a desire to serve the country.

That being said, if you are accepted into military flight school, the military would provide all of your training except the ATP itself, you would need to get that elsewhere, but it is only a couple thousand dollars.

Chris