Education goals

Hi, My name is Edwin, Im 21 years old and I live in the Bronx, New York. Im about to graduate with my associates and I am going to attend a 4 year college, My question is, what are the chances of getting hired right away with a 4 year degree ? I also attend a flight school for a private license to cumulate my flight hours, My understanding is that I would need to cumulate 40 hours in order for me to receive my private license, Please give me some advice, Thank you.

Edwin,

You cannot get hired at any airline until you have 1,500 flight hours, regardless of whether you have a degree or not.

I am assuming hat you are attending a part 141 flight school, in which case the minimum hour requirement is 40 hours. However, there are several other factors at play and several different criteria to meet before you can obtain a license, it isn’t just a matter of obtaining 40 hours.

Thank you for answering my question, have a nice day.

Edwin,

It takes a bit more than 40 hours total time to receive a Private Pilot
License, and I am not just referring to the total time. There are many
other requirements that need to be met. The full list of requirements can
be read in FAR part 61.102 through 61.109. Since we’re on the subject, I
also wanted to mention that 40 hours total time is just the minimum number
of flight hours required. From my experience, most students need at least
65-70 hours of flight time before they are what we call “check ride ready.”

Most major airlines these days only prefer that applicants have a 4 year
degree, but unless you have a strong aviation or military background, a 4
year degree is necessary. In addition, you will also need to have part 121
or part 135 operation experience before a major airline would even consider
you as a viable candidate. Most pilots achieve said experience by flying
for regional airlines (part 121). Also, while it is possible to meet the
minimum hiring requirements for a major airline without part 121 turbine
PIC time, you will most likely need to have at least 1000 hours of part 121
turbine PIC time. The majors want to see that you are trustworthy to hold
some kind of responsibility in the field of your profession.

Tory

Edwin,

I second and third what the other guys have said. I’m just chiming in to say hey. I grew up in the Bronx (Co-op City) and my mom and sister still live in Throggs Neck. I’m know a Capt with Hawaiian Airlines living in Oahu and life is good. Get your degree, build your time and live the dream! It’s well worth it :slight_smile:

Adam

Ok, Thank you and it’s good that, it doesn’t matter what degree it is.

That’s great, I didn’t know you grew up in the bronx lol, I’m from the soundview area in the bronx, next to castle hill and throggs neck, I been to co-op city a lot of times and plus the new mall they have builded. What I suggested that I was probably going to go to ATP in morristown New jersey with my 2 year degree and private license and build my licenses there, but I think it’s better if I get my 4 year degree and private license then go to ATP in New jersey. I feel like I can do better in a classroom than online courses.

Edwin,

Only YOU know what’s best for you and I applaud you being honest with yourself. Too many people see someone else’s path without really assessing and sadly fall flat. Online education can be incredibly challenging and requires tremendous discipline. That’s not saying you couldn’t do it, but knowing you do better in the classroom and possibly sacrificing the quickest route for the best route shows incredible maturity and good judgment. Both of which just happen to be critical elements of becoming a good pilot. Kudos.

Adam

Yes, I will be finishing my degree then go to ATP, By the way, What aircraft do you fly for hawaiian airlines ? my favorite aircraft is the Boeing 737 and 747.

The 737 is a fantastic airplane, I really enjoyed flying it.

I’m afraid none of your favorites. Hawaiian flies 717s, 767s, A321s and A330s. I started on the 717 then moved up to the A330. Great experience, saw the world but I was exhausted to I moved back to the 717 and couldn’t be happier.

Adam